Anti theft help

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by BenLD, Jun 3, 2014.

1. BenLD

BenLD Pen Pal - Newbie

So sometime last year I had bought a Surface Pro. I never had any issues with it and I loved it, but it was stolen. I was such an idiot and I can't believe I had misplaced it. Recently I purchased a refurbished Surface Pro that was $500. I wanted a Surface Pro again so I could have a device that was mobile and that I could use to draw on.

So here is where I need help. What are your suggestions for anti theft apps. The only one that I know of is Prey.

The other thing is I heard that the only way to track a stolen tablet is if it is connected to the internet. So I was wondering if there is some sort of gps chip that I could buy and possibly attach the tablet that I would be able to track without it being connected to the internet.

Any and all help is appreciated, thank you very much.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes Scribbler - Standard Member

Beside the fact that there is no internal connector to attack any device in the Surface Pro, let alone space, and the fact that ytou can't open it, your only choice is a USB GPS.
    [​IMG]

You can be sure that the thief would just unplug it even before he takes the device.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...What are your suggestions for anti theft apps...>>

...A few years ago, one of my tablets came with LoJack:

LoJack for Laptops - Promo 2 - LJP4YR

At $120 for 4 years, it's a bit pricey (maybe) but as you can see, it does some interesting things. I didn't activate my copy for various reasons, but I have no doubt that it does what it claims to do...

<<...I was wondering if there is some sort of gps chip that I could...possibly attach...that I would be able to track without...being connected to the internet...>>

...Such a device would have to be either built in or self powered. If the latter, it would likely be quite noticeable...