Anti-Spyware Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by P8RSON, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For the past year I have been using 'Spyware Doctor' on my other machines.
    My present subscription is due to close and rather than pay for another year I would like to ask what titles you guys have been using.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm fairly happy with SD, apart from it's large amount of PF Usage and allocated memory, it works a dream....

However, I'm too busy at the moment wagging through the vast different programs available...
    What titles do you feel happy using and have you had any experiences you would like to share whilst using on your TabletPC.

2. rankine

rankine Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been using SpySweeper for almost the last two years and have been very happy with it. I previously used Ad-Aware and Search and Destroy but Spy Sweeper caught more than these.

3. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

SpySeeper is among the top titles. I also have been just fine with the nice free Windows Defender application. Using this along with the free versions of Ad-Aware and the Spybot S&D (every so often). However if you don't frequent any "shady" websites, the Windows Defender app. should do just fine.

4. P8RSON

SpySweeper does appear to be the pick of the bunch... thanks guys.

However, maybe Barry is also right in that do I really need it....... given the sites I frequent.
    Rather than try to find an alternative, maybe I will be okay just using MS Defender and the free Ad-Aware which I have not now used for the past year or so...

Thanks again :)

5. blblblbl

blblblbl Pen Pal - Newbie

"given the sites I frequent" lol

This is a bit off topic. One of the best anti-spyware software is a remote desktop. Since I'm online anyways, I just set that up to surf through my old crappy desktop. The "shady" sites can go ahead and put all kinds of crap on it, the more the merrier. At the end of the day if I want to keep some files i just virus scan them before copying them over to my good computer.

6. P8RSON

I meant that in the "I don't visit" tense....

... but I can easily see how that could be misread :D

7. nfwolfpryde

nfwolfpryde Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm a fan of Windows Defender for anti-spyware. Spysweeper has caused problems on a few systems I've worked on (I do maintance for a lot of companies). But, to be honest, if you know what you're doing you don't need one at all. Just delete your cookies every now and then.

8. hiheyho

hiheyho Pen Pal - Newbie

make sure u get the old sweeper, the latest version is causing problems

9. bgstewar

bgstewar Pen Pal - Newbie

I LOVE SpySweeper...by far the best program I've used, and I've used about 5 others. It catches everything the others miss, and it blocks spyware like crazy. Worth its weight in gold! Plus, if you buy the physical program (instead of downloading it), you can install it on as many computers as you want. This is great for those of us that have desktops, laptops, tablets, etc...

10. P8RSON

That is worth noting for others here who may be considering Spy Sweeper.

Good point :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.