Another Short-sighted TV Cancellation

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Steve S, May 14, 2018.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Unpopular opinion... I watched the two seasons (because everyone had been extolling its virtues) and was unmoved

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

3. DRTigerlilly

So i decided to continue plodding on and started season 3 and feel halfway in it's FINALLY coming into it's own. Cancelling it at this point when it's just starting to get good does seem counterproductive.

I can imagine it's expensive though, hopefully Netflix will step up.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I love that show to death....I can't believe Sci-Fi already pulled the plug.....so early too....usually Renewal/Cancellations notices happen later in the run...like around time of the season finale or after the season finishes.....it was on Episode 5 of 13, not even at the seasons halfway point when they announced it was getting axed. I will admit Season 1 was....difficult to digest at first...but it was in the same way that other shows like Game of Thrones were.....Getting used to the settings/characters.....its just a complex world hard to unpack, it takes time to get used to their world. But by the crucial mid point of Season 2 (you know when)....everything just started clicking. This season.....and this weeks episode specifically were just so damn good. But its been a rough week for many shows......I'm also going to miss dearly Lucifer.....literally that cliffhanger was 3 seasons in the making.......and they cancel it.

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is allegedly why the show got the AX.

The series seemingly got the axe because of a complicated rights deal that put an inordinate amount of pressure on the show’s live-TV ratings to make it worth it for Syfy. Deadline reported:

The cancellation decision by Syfy is said to be linked to the nature of its agreement for the series, which only gives the cable network first-run linear rights in the U.S. That puts an extraordinary amount of emphasis on live, linear viewing, which is inherently challenging for sci-fi/genre series that tend to draw the lion’s share of their audiences from digital/streaming.

The show airs first on Syfy in the US; viewers can watch live on the cable TV channel or through its app with most pay-TV subscriptions. Past seasons are streamed on Amazon Prime in the US. Internationally, Legendary Global Television Distribution reportedly handles the TV and digital rights deals. It airs on TV networks Space in Canada and Sky in New Zealand, and is streamed as a Netflix original nearly everywhere else.

Live- and same-day viewership for The Expanse fell 20% on average between the first and second seasons. The first five episodes of season three averaged 570,000 viewers, about 9% less than the comparable episodes from the previous season. It’s Syfy’s fourth highest-rated series in the 18-49-year-old demographic coveted by advertisers, and only the eighth most-watched show when you look at viewership overall.

Alcon Entertainment is reportedly shopping the show to other networks and platforms. In the meantime, the creators promise an end to the current season that will both satisfy fans and leave the door open for more.

6. DRTigerlilly

Nielsen's outdated way of dong ratings needs to be put out of it's msery...

7. Steve S

<<...I'm also going to miss dearly Lucifer...>>

Huh. Me, too!

8. Steve S

9. Steve S

10. Steve S