another new R1F user

Discussion in 'Asus' started by gmaniax, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmaniax

gmaniax Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi All,

Just got my R1F today and have been scouring the forums to make sure I have all the correct updates, etc

Here is what I have done so far

updated BIOS to 3.08 (latest on Asus site)
    Updated inel graphics drivers
    updated realtek audio driver
    (so far, not hearing static)

Uninstalling norton using the norton removal tool from symantec site caused a catastrophic failure in the infineon secutiry platform taskbar app. Has anyone see this and know how to correct it?

I have also noticed that the laptop failed to come out of hibernation mode a couple times... and required reboot...quite annoying. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Anything else that anyone would suggest that I remove or add ?
    I've read all the posts in the forum and the dialogue is awesome.. I look forward to being a longtime contributor ans my experience grows

thanks

GM

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi,

Grats on the purchase.

Does anyone like Norton? Norton is so last millenium now that excellent free alternatives are out there ( Avast - Antivirus, Comodo - Firewall, Microsoft Defender - Spyware )

I'd suggest reinstalling the infineon app after removing Norton.

The reboot issue is annoying but definately a driver issue. I never had a problem with it. Try installing the ATK software on the Intel site, I think it's slightly newer than what's posted on the Asus site IIRC ( check first ).

3. gmaniax

gmaniax Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Alpha for your guidance

sorry to sound like a dumba__, but where is the Infineon app located so I can reinstall? Is it on the Installation CD/DVD? and do you have a link for the ATK on the intel site... I cant seem to find it.. and the Asus IIRC site? is that just the downloads area on the Asustek site

sorry to ask for the handholding.... newbie here..I'll get better :)

GM

4. Lazaruspl

Lazaruspl Pen Pal - Newbie

Gmaniax, did you make sure to reset bios to factory values after the upgrade? One of the issues fixed in a recent bios release was a black screen after exiting hibernation or sleep, but if you don't reset to factory values you get all sorts of problems.

5. gmaniax

gmaniax Pen Pal - Newbie

I sure did...thanks to the info on this forum, that was the first thing I did after updating to Bios v3.08

GM

6. alphaswift

The Infineon drivers are on the Drivers/Utilities disk.

Look through support.intel.com for chipset drivers

7. gmaniax

gmaniax Pen Pal - Newbie

i tried installing (repairing) the TPM using the utility CD and it installed about a 1/3 of it then asked for Disk 1 to continue. I have no idea what the that disk is?? Ive tried all the other disks that came with the device and no luck - the recovery disk, infopen disk.... nothing works

anybody have any experience with thi?

thanks

GM

8. Kib

Kib Pen Pal - Newbie

*sigh* I hate to ask a question that would require this (apparently) level of coddling but... I'm supposed to get my Asus R1F in 2-3 days, and I don't know what you mean by resetting bios to factory values... I've seen this mentioned in a few places, could someone please elaborate?

9. alphaswift

gm: The latest version of the utilities and drivers are available on the asus web site.

kib: There's an option in the bios menu system to reset the bios to factory values. This NEEDS to be done after a bios update.

10. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

the bios is what is run before the operating system. It essentially sets up the system and executes the OS. You can access the bios options by pressing F2 at the startup screen, and after that it's just a simple to use GUI and just explore that until you find a reset option. It's relatively straight forward when you get there.