Another Microsoft Pen Patent

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

So, somewhat to my surprise, my Bamboo Ink Plus pen arrive tomorrow. Given that I've always liked my Bamboo Ink pen, I'm hoping that the Plus will be a worthwhile improvement; but we'll see.

In particular, I'm interesting in what special characteristics a "blue" nib has...!

siddhartth, bloodycape and Bronsky like this.
  2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

3. Steve S

Well; I was going to put up a short description and review, but after watching Brad Colbow's video in the last post, there's not a whole lot more to say.

Still, there are one or two details that Brad does not touch on:
    • In addition to having a USB-C port for charging, which nominally takes three hours according to the Quick Start Guide, this pen apparently has a driver! The very first step in the QSG instructs the user to confirm that the latest driver is installed by going to a Wacom support page. However, when you try to go there you get a 404 page doesn't exist error. Guess that you have to assume that since this pen is brand new you are, by definition, up to date?
    • Brad did a good job talking about the pen's performance on the Surface Pro 6. I have a New Surface Pro (SP5) and I agree that the Wacom Ink Plus pen might draw lines that are a little wavy-er than my Surface pen (which is also nSP vintage). For truth in advertising, I should also say that I don't have the steadiest hand when drawing slow lines.
    • I have other, non-Microsoft tablets, so I decided to try my VAIO Z Canvas to see if the inking experience was perceptibly different: Ink.JPG
    • Bottom line is: not so much. In the image above, I drew slow diagonal lines with my SP5 pen (red), the new Ink Plus pen (blue), the Z Canvas's own pen (green) and, just for fun, the original Wacom Ink pen (orange, although it kinda looks yellow here). The interesting thing, to me, is that the ZC line is clearly the steadiest line of all; so steady that I wondered if repetition might be making a difference. So to rule that out, I redrew lines using the SP5 pen and the Ink Plus pen. To me, the resulting lines look substantially the same. When it was introduced, VAIO made a big deal about how the Z Canvas had been optimized for artists; it's possible that's why the ZC pen performed so well here...?!??
    • Finally, the nibs. The Ink Plus comes with an unknown nib (not marked) installed and a case containing a Firm, Soft, and mysterious "Blue" nib. The QSG cryptically suggests that "on certain devices the blue nib...can enhance your pen experience." Well, call me N-trig'ed!!! Oh. Sorry. Anyway, the installed nib feels OK on slick glass, but I've done firm and soft nibs for years, so I went directly for the Blue nib... and it really does feel good on a slick screen! I'm not sure how I would describe it, but it feels like a softer nib with just about the right amount of "bite" to make for a really good inking feel.
    My bottom line is similar to Brad's; the Ink Plus pen is nicely shaped, has a pocket clip, is rechargeable, feels good in the hand and has nibs that can allow the user to optimize their inking feel. But it doesn't provide low-speed line quality that is better than the two OEM pens that I tried. So I'm not sure why the average user should spend $100 for it. Perhaps for the hand feel, if you only draw with quicker strokes, or in the event that replacing batteries really, really annoys you... But that's about all that I can think of...

As usual, it's mostly an issue of personal preference and YMMV...

4. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

OEM pens have many benefits over these pens by Adonit, Wacom or logitech.

Only case where i see a third party pen can prove more useful than first party is - iPadmini 5 with Adonit Note. I will happily compromise on the pressure sensitivity or settle for a fake pressure sensitivivity style that is implemented in Google Keep and Inkredible.

lovelaptops likes this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That’s actually kind of odd the Zcanvas pen performed so well for you.

With the Pro 5 & 6....the introduction of the Pixel Sense Accelerator made the specific pen more crucial. The Pro 5 and up Surface Pens work in tandem with that chip for better pen performance. Pro 3/4 pens and the original InK pen don’t work as well on Pro 5 and up because they can’t take advantage of that added chip. (Most obvious to discern with the hovering speed). If the new Ink Plus Pen is drawing wavyer lines then the Surface Pen.....that would indicated like he original ink pen....the new one doesn’t take advantage of the pixel sense accelerator.

But that wouldn’t account for the zcanvas pen....which is old as heck.

6. Steve S

<<...kind of odd the Zcanvas pen performed so well for you...>>

...Perhaps, but remember that the Z Canvas' pen was made to work with it, so perhaps the VAIO engineers had a trick or two up their sleeves...

<<...the new one doesn’t take advantage of the pixel sense accelerator...>>

...That brings up a thread that I meant to pull on a bit more, the driver. If this pen actually has internal driver software as the Quick Start Guide seems to suggest, I wonder if Wacom can improve the Ink Plus' inking behavior in the future. If not, why even have this feature? I suppose that time will tell...

7. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We need to get hold of a pen digitiser engineering insider. Who can explain things like these.

8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Are the nibs between the Bamboo Ink and Ink Plus interchangeable? Like can we use the blue nib on the og Bambo ink?

9. Steve S

<<...Are the nibs between the Bamboo Ink and Ink Plus interchangeable?..>>

@bloodycape : Unfortunately, no. As seen in the image below, the differences are subtle, but the shank on the (original) Ink pen are slightly longer and slightly narrower in diameter than the shanks on the Ink Plus nibs. I tried to insert an Ink Plus nib into my Ink pen, and it would not seat. Sorry...

Tips 2.jpg

Ink pen on the left, nibs at top
    Ink Plus pen on the right, nibs in the middle

bloodycape and Marty like this.
  10. Steve S

This image might be a little better...

tips3.jpg