Another Microsoft Pen Patent

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Feb 16, 2018.

1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

I remember that Samsung used to make a full sized adaptor in which the pen in the Silo can slide in.

As convenient a Silo pen looks i like the approach samsung has taken for it's "ecosystem". Note phone is for urgent on the fly jotting because of the tiny screen, so there is a dedicated pen Silo. Galaxybooks on the other hand require a bag for transportation where u can easily throw in a full sized stylus.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

soh5, Tams, lovelaptops and 2 others like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm 1000% with @Bronsky ! EMR uber alles!

lovelaptops likes this.
  5. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have to agree with the Silo Segment...with a silo you always have a pen handy for notes, sketches, whatever...and EMR without batteries for the pen is where it's at...like others have said, many times it's no shirt pocket, or even if you clip it above a button on a button-up shirt, it may stay there depending on how hungry your car's seatbelt is (when the shoulder strap grabs the clip, no telling where that pen will end up) and a loose clip is a nightmare without the seatbelt challenge. I've got a Dell laptop with a pen (not EMR, folks...actually, I'm still not sure what it is), but aside from the clip on the pen, there's nowhere to put this big, clunky, battery laden thing...no loop on the laptop or notch on it anywhere to use the clip...and I'm a briefcase guy - strangely enough with a laptop in the briefcase and the usual odds and ends that you need in a briefcase, trying to find a home for the pen where it's protected and remains where you put it, is often a challenge. I understand the artist's needs for a full-size pen, but like the man said, a full-size digital pen is a complex, clunky and aggravating piece of tech unless it has a built-in home. My final thought is this...if a manufacturer adds a pen to its mobile device just as something to make a sale with no good way to protect it and keep it right with the device at all times, then you've just got something else to add to all the other something else-s you have to try to keep track of day-to-day. For you guys with unlimited energy and brain power, I realize all this isn't a problem...but I need less to track and worry about if I'm using this stuff - with my Note8 I have none of these worries or concerns. I cannot see that the same thing can't be done for a laptop, tablet or whatever other thing that is made for a person to have a convenient, pen-able device available without having to hire a caddy to haul all the parts and pieces around for us. Oh yeah...even my slim, trim, light Samsung CB Pro has a siloed S-Pen...long live the S-Pen!!

Tams and dstrauss like this.
  6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Incredibly, I find at this point it's better for them to perfect their own flavour of pen technology than going back to pay wacom for their emr.
    Personally I'm finding myself at ease drawing with the Book 2, much much better than the previous 2 generations of pens from Microsoft. They just need to refine it a bit further and make it stable without palm interferences.

bloodycape likes this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I love the EMR on my Note 5. The only thing I do on the Surface 3 anymore that involves the pen is annotating PDFs and signing documents. Even at that, I am doing more and more of that on the Note 5.

NTrig (at least the version on my S3) is inferior to EMR. I have played around with the GB 12 & 10 and they confirm my experience on the Note 5. I am hoping for a significant improvement from the S3 to the S4.

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I've been saying this for some time - "they just need to refine it further" and "stable without palm interference" but it NEVER comes out feeling like a Wacom EMR pen. MS will never admit their error of switching from EMR to N-Trig, and apparently they have not been able to refine the mini N-Trig capacitor based mini-stylus that N-Trig was showing in 2012

Tams likes this.
  9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I mostly use larger EMR styluses. They're much nicer to use.

However, I do use the built in styluses, especially on my Note Edge. It's just more convenient (as an extreme, it's even practical for taking clubbing; gotta draw a certain part of the anatomy on some photos!) I've also lost multiple larger, separate styluses. One moment they were there, then they're gone.

Telstar1948 likes this.
  10. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am coming to the conclusion that, for me, the S-Pen of a Note smartphone is all I ever need. I never use the Surface Pen on my SB. Initialing and signing PDFs on my Note are no problem with the default "Write On PDF" app. It couldn't be more smooth and easy a process, from receiving the email attachment to sending it back filled out, unlike the convolutions I had to go through with other apps, other devices.

So, really, I can save money on my next desktop replacement laptop by foregoing pen capabilities. And I no longer need to care whether or not it has a silo. :D

Telstar1948, Bronsky and dstrauss like this.