Another Microsoft Pen Patent

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Feb 16, 2018.

1. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Well that other thing is not in a silo either. Not usually. The silo is attached to a different person.

2. soh5

soh5 Surface or Bust Senior Member

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I think you're foolish in comparing a pen to a digital pen.

One can only be used on certain devices, while the other has universal capability on any sheet of paper.
    Just because you don't like the idea of a silo, does not mean you have to come across as tone deaf to the TPC crowd.

Thats like going into Cubs stadium and saying the Cubs suck.

dstrauss and siddhartth like this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Everyone is entitled to their own opinions...>>

...Yes, they are, and that's an observation worth remembering!

I don't think that quite everyone on these forums is a fan of silos in spite of some who are ardent proponents. I, for one, see no problem with putting a pen in my pocket.

Having said that, I respect the opinion of others who seem to feel that a silo is a necessity, just as I respect (but do not understand) those members who cannot stand the merest whisper of a cooling fan.

To each their own...

siddhartth likes this.
  4. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

Adding a silo for the pen means compromise in battery capacity. Still i think It's worth it. What i don't like and also have no to little respect for, is compromising on batterry in favour of 4 speakers. Which is a thing that all iPads and Samsung TabS3 does.

But when i have to carry a bag in any case for the tablet, then i don't think not having a silo is a big pain. You can always dunk the pen in the same bag.

5. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Meh, I can't pretend there's a practical reason I don't like the idea of a silo. Less battery life seems like a stretch. I just think it's cheesy is all. A silo for a pen reminds me of

6. siddhartth

A very convenient car.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

You might think twice if you've ever forgotten your beach chair.:vbwink:

dellaster and siddhartth like this.
  8. Jayjapanb

Jayjapanb Pen Pal - Newbie

Wouldn't a silo pen have to be pretty crazy small?
    I really don't see it being anything other than a backup. I can't imagine sitting down for 8 hours with a Galaxy Note sized pen.

siddhartth likes this.
  9. siddhartth

I think having half the silo in the keyboard base and half of it in the display bezel,would help in accomadating a large pen. May be Surface book can store a pen in the hinge.

Alternatively, having a railroad like edge on the tablet and a complimentary groove on the full sized pen will enable a fill sized pen slide on to that railroad like edge to lock in.

I am sure the design team of both Apple and Microsoft thought about it. But for safety and design purposes didn't implement it.

10. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The silo versus no-silo debate seems to be mostly between artists, who naturally want a well-fitted full-size instrument, and note-takers who can get by with a tiny stylus, it's much more important that it actually be there when needed.

The other day I was sent a PDF that I had to initial in various places and then sign and date. It had to be in handwriting—I had tried in a previous year to use typewritten stuff in handwriting style; it got sent back to me to be redone—so this time I whipped out the little stick pen on my Note 8, filled out the PDF, and immediately mailed it back. The easiest process I have ever experienced for one of those!

No digging through a drawer looking for a pen, then maybe finding it and discovering that it has a dead battery. No sudden realization that I left it at home, or lost it someplace, leaving me completely out of luck.

I understand the artist need for a full size pen, and how the little siloed stylus might seem nothing more than an added expense, useless. The thing is, you can almost always add a full size pen to your tablet but if there's not a silo you're completely SOL. It cannot be added no matter how much you pay. Alternatives like loops and pocket clips (I rarely wear a shirt with a pocket and I haven't owned a jacket with inside pockets for a decade or so) are always substandard for those of us who need, desire that kind of always-there convenience.

Tams, dstrauss and Selofain like this.