Another Lost Artist

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Shogmaster, Nov 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlewis

tlewis Scribbler - Standard Member

In the past I would have always opted for hi-rez.
    The X61 has made answering that question harder because I've fallen in love with touch. And touch - from the 2 or 3 manufacturers that provide it - is only available with the lo-rez displays.

And y'know...The compromise has not been as painful as I had anticipated. In fact, I miss touch on my hi-rez tablets way more than I miss hi-rez on my touch-enabled x61.

So given what I've discovered about my tolerance for less rez - I'd say go XGA, especially with the added bonus of more power and longer life.

This is obviously a very personal call.
    T

2. frog

frog Scribbler - Standard Member

I know you said you didn't want the thread to become a discussion about pressure sensitivity, but since you're basing your choice of tablet on this very criteria it should be addressed.

The difference between 1024 and 256 levels of pressure sensitivity is not in the amount or range of pressure available, but in the number of steps between minimum and maximum. If 256 levels really was insufficient you would be able to see the steps as abrupt transitions between levels - the fact that you can't should tell you that it's nothing more than numbers and marketing.

For what it's worth I've used Wacom tablets for over ten years, from the Graphire to the Cintiq and IMO pressure sensitivity is not what separates the tablets.

3. Dynafrom

Dynafrom Pen Pal - Newbie

Question is it the pen with the pressure sensitive tip that allows for 1024 levels or is it the screen? So if I get a cintiq pen can my tablet register 1024 levels or pressure?

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Most of the Cintiq pens use a different frequency or something like that from the tablets in tablet PCs. I believe only the 18 and the 15 work, but don't quote me on that.

5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

jhof80 yo are correct, The PL500, PL600, Cintiq 15X, 17SX, 18SX, PenPartner, Art Z II, Intuos 1 pens will work with a tablet pc. The rest are not compatible.

6. Dynafrom

Dynafrom Pen Pal - Newbie

That doesn't answer my question though :|

7. DRTigerlilly

i'm going to say its the interaction of the digitizer w/ the pen that determines the level of sensitivity. but i'd assume most of it is going to be dependent on the digitizer, a pen isn't going to make the tablet device have better sensitivity or not.

8. Art-Machine

Art-Machine Pen Pal - Newbie

Well after all the debate about not caring about the pressure levels etc i threw caution to the wind and got a HP TX2600 (minor 2500 upgrade) today just so i can see for myself... And boy do i have a problem with it already...

Posted about it here:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?p=135921#post135921

Would appreciate some advice about this problem that's making it 100% useless to me right now and i need to know soon if i'm returning it or can fix this! :(

9. DRTigerlilly

have you tried disabling the touch screen & seeing if that makes any difference? I'd also be inclined to think that a tablet without the passive touch layer and with a more firm screen would be better to draw on.

10. Art-Machine

Art-Machine Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes first thing i did was disable touch and that image was taken after trying that.

As for the screen's stability, i was doing these strokes on a tabletop with the screen fully closed over the keyboard. So it's definitely not me or the tablet jumping around, it's the thing going haywire on its own at the beginning of every stroke...

I'm really curious why i havent heard anyone else mention this at all either. Could it be a defect?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.