Another Lost Artist

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Shogmaster, Nov 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Art-Machine

Art-Machine Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, I'm ready to make the leap to tablet PC for my on-the-go art needs. But have hit a brick wall in that i can't find a damn tablet pc to test first. So i can't decide which to get! (by the way alltp didn't reply when i asked about their test-drive program shipping to canada, so i can assume it's sadly US only?)

Anyway so I was considering mainly between these 3 after a lot of shopping around :

Modbook : It seems kinda fat and clunky which might be a turnoff, The alleged lag between the physical and on-screen stroke worries me too.

Motion LE1700: Seems prety equal to the modbook in stats/price, but can't find a confirmation on the wacom's levels of pressure.

Sahara Slate PC: Seems like it could be good but haven't found many comments about it. Especially from the artist's view

I'm very open to any other options you guys can suggest besides that.

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    I get uncomfortable above 2k but above all i just don't want to waste my money on a bad choice.

2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    Slates are attractive to me because they seem to cut out weight for things i dont need. But again i'll take a convertible if it's got what i need.

3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Long as it's got as much working room as a piece of paper i'm fine.

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    Canada

5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No

6. How many hours battery life do you require?
    3+ seems to be reasonable

7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for?
    Art requiring good levels of pressure sensitivity, and good color representation.

8. Do you have an OS preference?
    No Vista! XP is fine

9. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    Photoshop, Painter, Artrage, etc. If it can handle Zbrush, as the modbook would, that's just a nice bonus.

10. Do you intend playing Games. If so please list.
    no

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen?
    doesn't matter

2. What resolution do you prefer?
    Which is best for art aps?

3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option?
    See explanation below for guidance.
    Outdoor option would be nice but i can't help but feel there would be some significant drawbacks on general screen quality on those screens?

4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?
    Active

5. Do you require Wacom, Finepoint, or N-Trig Technology?
    See explanation below for guidance.
    Wacom or GTFO ;)

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    HD i don't really care, Memory is always good. Whatever i need to run graptics aps without lag.

2. Do you require an Optical Drive?
    no

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
    Possibly, but not a must if the basic battery is decent.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    I need to know for sure the levels of pressure on any options you guys bring up. Too many companies don't make any mention of this factor even on their own site.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    I think i covered everything

Thanks guys!

2. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

If you want to try the Fujitsu, try visiting a Fry's Electronics. The Fujitsu has a flat screen without a bezel that makes it easier to draw. You may have to take a trip to the US to find a Fry's though... Personally, if I went with a slate, I'd go with a Fujitsu since they're a proven commodity. I have yet to hear about many (or any) real Modbook customers, just reviewers, and that's a risk I wouldn't be willing to take no matter what specs or OS the Modbook claims to have.

3. Art-Machine

Thanks for the feedback. I'm in Montreal by the way, not the best town to find non-mainstream stuff. Times like these i miss Toronto for its wealth of services and supplies.

Anyway, about modbook, I found this site in my searches : http://modbookers.com/

Lots of modbook reviews and discussion there. Never saw anything about the lag between stroke and screen though. But i had thought i noticed that in some youtube videos of it. I wonder if it still hapens on modern ones.

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Stop worrying about maximum pressure levels.

Also, stop worrying about visual lag between pen and the screen. We are very adaptive animals. You will learn to deal with it very quickly (If you can't for some wacky reason deal with it, you probably wouldn't be making progression as artist anyways and should save $1000+ that goes into getting a Tablet PC for art).

5. Art-Machine

Shogmaster, you're probably right on your last point, but for pressure sensitivity i have to absolutely disagree.

I had seen that video already and even though he says there's no difference, i can see the difference in his strokes right there on the video. Also i have been using a variety of wacom tablets for about 10 years, and i can guarentee that pressure sensitivity makes a huge difference at least for the styles i tend to work in.

If all you're doing is scribbles and lineart you can live with less, but if you're heavily relying on opacity and blending nuance it makes quite a noticeable difference.

So respectfully i stick to my guns, Wacom with 512 pressure sensitivity for my tablet! :p

While on the subject how many levels of pressure does the Fujitsu you mentioned have Leaftye?

6. atom

atom Pen Pro - Atomic Member

You do realize that the person who made that video is Shogomaster right?

Also, sensitivity doesn't matter, the digitizer does. There is no actual difference.

7. Art-Machine

hi atom,

Would you like to explain to me what you mean then? Im willing to consider that the differences in tablets i've used were because of the digitizer and not the tablet itself.
    How could the system read more levels than it's meant to just because you used a different pen? Why don't we all just use bamboos with cintiq styluses if that's the case?

Also I'd like to keep this thread from turning into a pressure sensitivity debate, I'm mainly trying to hear options for tablets based on my needs.

8. atom

No, I am saying that having 1024 Levels of Sensitivity is useless if its on some no-name brand digitizer. 256 Levels of Sensitivity is more or less the same to the 1024 Levels on the Cintiq.

9. tlewis

tlewis Scribbler - Standard Member

fwiw...I'm a (not always well-) paid professional artist...been using tablets since 2003. I'm on my 4th. Currently an x61t. I do a syndicated comic and illustrate kids books, and so on. Using ACDSee Canvas11...SketchBook Pro... PainterX....Adobe stuff, etc...

I also have a Cintiq for the studio. I side with Shog on this. For me, the advantage of the Cintiq is sheer real estate. I don't notice a pressure difference when I 'm mobile with my tablet - which is probably 3/4 of the time.

re: your quest for a slate. Do keep in mind that, in general, slates are wimpier than convertibles...in cpu power and graphic umph. The pound or two you gain in having a convertible keyboard still makes for a pretty light load these days...and the power gained can be worth the slight sacrifice, depending on your demands. My reality is that I don't spend much time at all away from the support of a table or lap or steering wheel (which is true when using an actual sketchpad, btw). Obviously, the keyboard can come in handy, too. My two cents after owning (and loving for different reasons) two Toshiba convertibles, a Motion slate and the Lenovo.

All that said, the le1700 is pretty sexy. Here's a thread you may not have seen on using it for some very cool art:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=10288

T Lewis

10. atom

Hey, tlewis... would you rather have a SXGA screen or an XGA (High quality outdoor) screen with much better battery life and performance?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.