Another external graphics solution from MSI

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StephenGillie, Oct 6, 2007.

1. koss

koss Pen Pal - Newbie

From TG Daily..

Beside the external graphics solution from Asus, this may provide the much-needed graphics improvement in case you want to do 3D games on your tablet PC. Hopefully, more of these kind come out with faster graphics (I didn't think Asus one was fast enough :( ) so we can still feel less guilty buying Tablet PC with slow Intel GMA's...

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. BenI

BenI Pen Pal - Newbie

but what current TPCs will this work on?

3. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

It's interfaced through an ExpressCard slot, thus a Tablet PC with an ExpressCard slot will work; such as the Asus R1F and the HP tx1000z Tablet PCs.

4. FantasiaWHT

FantasiaWHT Pen Pal - Newbie

So then with this, I could steal my Radeon X1600 XT out of my desktop, hook it up into my Asus (if that's what I get), and attach my LCD monitor to the laptop (with what kind of cord?) and play games that way? My desktop's been giving me problems anyway and I don't want to spend money upgrading it if I'm going to be buying an expensive laptop.

5. SimsHsia

Hi FantasiaWHT,

You could use a DVI to DVI cable, a DVI to VGA cable, or a VGA to VGA cable; depending on: 1.) what your video card can output through (VGA and/or DVI) and 2.) what your monitor can accept the output (VGA and/or DVI). Basically, you would need to output the signal to the external graphics box then it will show up on the LCD display; you can play games or use graphic-intensive applications (like AutoCAD) just like a desktop PC, but outputted through the Tablet PC.

6. FantasiaWHT

FantasiaWHT Pen Pal - Newbie

Shweet. I currently use a DVI to DVI, so that'll still work?

7. SimsHsia

If you use your Radeon X1600 XT and put it into the MSI External Graphics solution, whatever the cable you output to your display should work just fine. Remember, the video card you input hasn't changed it's output ports; but the MSI External Graphics solution just requires a ExpressCard slot to input the adapter so that it the image display on your Tablet PC is outputted through your video card and onto the external display.

8. kensei

kensei Scribbler - Standard Member

What's the comparison of it's performance to a "proper" built in dedicated graphics card?

I don't keep up to date with much of the news, but it seems to me that 1. There will be no 14" tablets in the market in the near future (which I am spewing about, cause it's the perfect size for me) and 2. none I see with a better dedicated graphics card than the Tecra M7.

9. StephenGillie

StephenGillie Pen Pal - Newbie

So, any more word on this yet?