Another 8"er Bites the Dust.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bronsky, May 16, 2017.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

A pity, because that size is just incredibly comfortable to use. The bigger iPhone -I have the 6+- can't really compare to it.

4. tiger balm

tiger balm Pen Pal - Newbie

I hope this isn't true as, in addition to being interested in purchasing an iPad Mini 5 or Mini Pro, other manufacturers may decide not to release high end 8" tablets, which is what I like to use.

With a SP3, a 10" or 9.7" tablet will almost be a replacement rather than complementary item

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Whoever told these OEMs a quality bezeless 8incher isn't the sweetest spot for mobile computing especially when it comes with digital ink capability.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

6. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

Frustrating.
    Written from my near- antique Vivotab Note 8.

dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Can't help but comment on what a poorly written article that was in Engadget:

1) Just because Apple is for some lain-brain reason planning to offer both a 9.7" and a 10.5" iPad it does not in any way follow that a 7.9" version would cause buyer confusion!

2) Similarly, because Apple "wants" the market to see iPads as replacements for laptop computers doesn't mean the market will see things Apple's way.

These said, the relatively slow sales of the Mini does give Apple reasonable pause about the segment, but since they never offered it with the Pencil (did they?) it didn't have the chance to fulfill the need that we TPCR devotees crave to be fulfilled. I think that goes for Android and Windows (i.e., HP 8" Windows) tablets as well: they've never put forth a strong offering and, as a result, the market likely has not been huge for the devices that were offered.

Waxing on (sigh)...it borders on comical to think how incredibly useful a full featured, high quality 8" tablet with pen support (and a pen silo!) would be, to those of us who have used/struggled with the likes of: Asus Vivo Note8s, Dell Venue 8, Samsung Galaxy Note 8 tablets - from 2012, mine still giving good service, if impaired - and/or HP Slates. yet it has been the lack of supply, rather than demand which, in my view, has prevented the great potential success of such devices. The device that would fulfill the qualities I note above has always been just beyond our grasp (Surface Pro Mini, anyone?!!). So, we either drag around under-powered, unreliable, now old/near-death devices - including even old Galaxy Note 4-5 phablets! - or pretend that slipping a 10-12" device into a briefcase and whipping it out to use while standing in a crowd or sitting a a cramped table can fit the bill...

What I'm saying is: Darrrrnit! Why can't someone make a serious product of an 8" professional grade convertible tablet? I can account for at least 47 people who would buy it (don't bother increasing that number if you want one; I got it up to 47 counting all the people on this forum who have posted about it!) :p:p:p

dstrauss, Bronsky and nnthemperor like this.
  8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Make that 48; my wife wants one too. :thumbsup:

dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I am convinced 8" would be the ideal note taking device (think of a slimmer-bezeled VTN8 with modern screen and internals) for most users. Combined with a full power laptop, it would be the perfect moleskin replacement. Even Panos Panay waxed poetic about the usefulness of his Surface Mini THAT THE REST OF US NEVER GOT TO USE!

"ONE NIGHT ABOUT two years ago, Panos Panay couldn’t sleep. This happens a lot: he wakes up in the middle of the night, loud thoughts rattling around in his head. Panay popped off the pillow, reached for his new Surface Pen and his old Surface Mini, and wrote himself an email. (He loves the Mini, a small tablet his team built but never shipped. 'It was like a Moleskine,”'he says. 'It was awesome.')"

nnthemperor and lovelaptops like this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

8" that is close to bezel free. I can't get my left hand to hold both sides of the device, which is the kind of support you need if you're going to write on it. Also bezel needs to be round so it doesn't cut in to your skin.

nnthemperor, lovelaptops and dstrauss like this.