Another “what tablet to buy” for technologically illiterate noob

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by 12secondnova, Jun 19, 2019.

1. 12secondnova

12secondnova Pen Pal - Newbie

Need some help! Looking for a tablet to use as gauges in my old pickup. Here’s my form. Any help is appreciated! Thanks,chris

What is your budget?
    $300

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Windows tablet

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    I’m working with a 5.5x9 inch space so whatever fills that out best. I think 8.1 would work.
    • 5 to7-inches
    • 7.1 to 10-inches
    • 10 to 13-inches
    • Above 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA ’merica

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    None. Whatever gets the job done best.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    I’m not sure looking to hook up permanently. Addressed below too\/

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Using it to connect to my trucks ecu and watch gauges. (Speed,rpm,water temp etc.)

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Needs to be windows 10

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    No

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Yes

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    No
    Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    Do not need much memory. Expandable would be nice because I can data log and transfer engine tunes to my computer.(not required though)

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

Here’s my main concern. I would like to have one port to connect to a charger and a separate that connects to the ecu (engine control unit) would prefer one of these is a full size usb but it doesn’t matter what connector it is as long as it does the job.

If you guys can help me I’d be extremely grateful!

paprikaleapt likes this.
  2. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

https://www.reddit.com/r/Truckers/ might be able to help you better with your specific needs much better than us. Perhaps there is a commercial/business product that will fulfill your goal that we don't know about. Most of us would only know about the consumer facing products.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  3. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member