Annoying popups on Safari iPad today

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by JoeS, Jun 29, 2017.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

For the first time that I can recall, TPCR forum pages are giving me a popup stating something like "congratulations iPad user, you have won (close)" or something like that. After hitting close you'll be on some spam page, and hitting back brings you to the intended thread. Do we know what that is, and can we ban that advertiser?

Aman likes this.
  2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I've been getting these for about 1/2 a year on my iPhone and I hate it. Would love to find out how to get rid of them. exactly the same advertising.

3. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

I am getting these 100% of the time on my iPhone. Its probably killing half the number of times I'd be accessing and posting because I try to come to the site from my phone when I'm not at my desk; which is pretty much all evening. I get an email notification of a thread update on my phone and when I try to go view it I get the dumb "congratulations, you have won... blah, blah".

Why would the site push this annoying type of ad to users that are logged in? It makes the site unusable on a mobile device.

Starlight5 and JoeS like this.
  4. convergent

This is still happening on my iPhone. Most of the time I can not use the site at all due to this ad, when I'm mobile. The worse part is that even if I wanted to play along with the ad, there appears to be no way to get past it.

5. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would just use tap talk. It’s better on the app then through the websites at least in my opinion. But who knows :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've been having the same issue with my iPad Pro for the past week or so.....in both Safari and Firefox.

Today however is the first day It hasn't redirected me....hopefully whatever was causing that issue has been taken care of.

7. convergent

I am trying tapatalk, but I'd really rather use the native mobile view in browser. There is another site that is throwing up these same ads, so probably the ad network violating the sites selection criteria. But as I said.. this one offers no way out, even if you want to click on the ad.

8. ORTOX

ORTOX Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been trying to find a solution to this. A co-worker is having the exact same trouble on his iPhone and I have not been able to find a solution. If I come across anything I will stop back and post.