Annoying "open software updater" re-direct on TPCR?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by Mesosphere, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Has anyone else suddenly had this issue lately? Just in the last day or so, I keep getting a redirect (only on TPCR) to install the OpenSoftwareUpdater software. I googled it and apparently it is adware. As far as I can tell it isn't something installed on my machines locally and the fact that it only pops up when I browse TPCR, makes me think the website is the source.

Has anyone else been having this issue? If so, I think it probably is linked to the banner adds.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Has anyone else been having this issue?..>>

...I am not seeing this, and I've been on the site a few times since early this morning...

3. Mesosphere

Thanks, I forgot to add that this only happens in Chrome. I don't know what browser you use. I've been using Chrome more lately because IE has begun to have rendering performance issues on my machines... not sure what is going on with that, but another topic =)

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I don't know what browser you use...>>

I use IE.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'm using Chrome, but I have never seen this. Although I do have adblock plus, ghostery, and the hosts-list going. :) Yes I feel a little guilty, but the number of hits on the Win8 tablets thread probably makes up for it.

6. Mesosphere

I have no addons or extensions other than LastPass. I'll look into some of those add block tools.

I just started using chrome in the last week or so (it used to serve as my backup browser) because I couldn't figure out what the problem was with IE (and it is effecting all of my computers I use frequently). I have to close and reopen IE several times daily now because it periodically becomes very unresponsive and in some case just refuses to render pages.

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

That sounds a little worrisome. Maybe some virus hunting is needed. Or drive space checking. Or disk health checking. Or cache clearing. Or overnight automatic maintenance.

Ghostery: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ghostery/mlomiejdfkolichcflejclcbmpeaniij
    Adblock: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

8. Mesosphere

It started happening on all my devices (home/work desktop, laptop) around the same time, so I didn't really suspect any of those things, but I've run virus scans and such and found nothing.

9. Mesosphere

The redirect thing definitely seems to be add related. As soon as I installed add block the problem stopped. It was happening every ~5-10 page loads, and I could reliably get it to reoccur by spam refreshing. It doesn't redirect me now no matter how many times I refresh.

Edit: ... maybe not. As a test I disabled add block to see if I could get it to reoccur, but now I cannot? Dunno... Hopefully it wont return =)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  10. Mesosphere

Ok the redirect problem is back again this morning, so I was able to confirm that it is linked to the adds. With add block disabled I can reliably get the redirect to occur, once enabled I cannot. I went back and for like this several times to confirm the behavior.

Add block does solve the problem, but the Admins might want to take a look at this. It gives the site a very spammy feel to it that might turn users off from repeat visits... also I'd rather support the site by allowing the adds to show...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.