annoyed about your top 10 list

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by cosmic, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmic

cosmic Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't see how you can vote somthing on a list that has not even made yet you have no idea of price features or even when it's comming out. one question do they fund this site in any way i noticed you have advertising from them and they don't even have a product yet

2. airgaps

airgaps Scribbler - Standard Member

Actually I think that is not how it works, it counts the number of clicks on a particular product info page. This "not yet out products" are in the list as they have been announced and some info is known about them. Don't be so paranoid ;)

On the advertising..well my guess it is the google search thing... Still one of the moderators or site administrators will know more about it than me !

3. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I thought the top 10 list is only an indicator of consumer interest in the product, since it basically counts number of visits, as airgaps said... It is not an indicator of product rating. The heading reads Most Popular Tablet PCs, not Best Tablet PCs.

4. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

The Top 10 List, as airgaps and kureshii mention, is a compilation of the total amount of visitor clicks for that particular month. Now, by "visitor" it could mean users, or humans, that see interest in a particular Tablet PC and click on it for more information. It doesn't necessarily mean that it is the total market share for that particular Tablet PC, it is the overall visitor interest of that Tablet PC. "Visitor" can also mean search engine robots that are caching the pages for those Tablet PCs as well.

No, I do not believe that any of the manufacturers here fund the site to get an advantage in the Top 10 List. As I, and others stated, it is the general visitor interest of those Tablet PCs when they click on any Tablet PC link in the Tablet PC Database. Not market share, or total percentage of owners who own that particular Tablet PC. Tiffany, Brian, and all the other Administrators here most likely add in Tablet PCs periodically so the database and the list is kept up-to-date with the currently available and coming soon Tablet PCs.

EDIT:
    Also, this needs to be in the Site Suggestions & Site Help forum, and not the Press Releases & Announcements forum; this topic will be moved shortly.

5. thaluckyspoon

thaluckyspoon Scribbler - Standard Member

I am just ticked that the Gateway C140 isn't anywhere so I can click on it for hours and move it to the top ten. (just kidding but I would enjoy seeing it acknowledged on this site.)

6. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

He hee... It wouldn't work anyway.

Topic Moved.

7. cosmic

I'm not trying to pick bones or start problems i really like this site. I'm sorry for miss posting in the wrong spot but this is a very good discussion., and i wanted to make sure every member read my opinion (Airgaps) I'm not paranoid I actually used this site to help me purchase my C-140 (plus I'm a preferred customer with gateway so I can get huge discounts also another big reason) but all of the info i have come across from this site has helped me decide on the c-140.
    this is a misleading title "Most Popular Tablet PCs" makes me think that lots of people own them use them, and are very good products. it was not until i found the link on the News Headlines were it explains what that list really means i did not click on that link for like 4 days.

so miss Tiffany Boggs when i called dell and they told me that they don't make tablet's but they sell other companies machines i was shocked. i told them about reading about the latitude's on a site (not mentioning the name of the site) and they had no idea of what i was talking about. I think that list should be retitled to something like "Most inquired about tablet's for sale on the market including soon to be released products" maybe we can vote to change the title? every one on the forum can get only one vote. that should not be that hard to do. and start another pole like "top ten tablets ranked by tablet pc review forum users" which you only get one vote a month" and must be a registered user of the forem. I had clicked on every one on the list so i could find out the pros and cons so that means i voted for every one right? it's very unscientific. any way I'm glad that you are all here and this is a great site and i hope we can implement my ideas to the site. maybe we can hear Tiffany Boggs spin on this situation and matter. I am willing to help with the poling

soon to be a proud owner of an brand spanking new Gateway c-140 Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7700 (2.40GHz, 800MHz, 4MB L2)Chassis w/ 128MB graphics, PM965, 1394 & Finger Print reader (Viper-SR)80GB 7200rpm Hitachi Serial ATA hard drive,1024MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-512)(soon to be upgraded but $1500.00 for 4 gigs of ram is an insane price(tiger direct US Modular 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 SODIMM Memory $122.99) LG/Hitachi 8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVDRW With DVD-RAM (Home built external hard drive Hitachi deskstar sata300 drive with black cool max creative data storage 3.5 multi functional Enclosure with usb2.0 ieee1394 fire wire and e-Sata 300 connections to connect to computer plus 197 gigs of music form 1920 to current)

8. Tiffany Boggs

Tiffany Boggs Editor/Site Admin Senior Member

Well it clearly states at the beginning of the article and every article we do each month what it is.

"Welcome to the monthly listing of the "Top 10 Tablet PCs". This report is compiled based on the number of views each product page receives, so every time someone clicks on a product they're giving it a vote in that months rankings.

These rankings don't necessarily indicate which models are the best selling, just which ones TabletPCReview readers are most interested in learning about."

This title is the same for each of our sites.

9. cosmic

right. in the article it does clearly states those facts, if you can find the articale! on the main page the list is misleading because I don't find the article which is the fifth tenth item on the list ; under News Headlines which buy the way the fifth tenth article is on the second page of the list, along with the 13th and 14th News Headlines items. I'm not stating that the articale is not accurate it tells you how the list is rated it's accurate. But come on it's not even on the same page as the main list. maybe you guys should pin it to the number 1 top spot of the news headlines and work everything down from their. or when you click on any of the 10 item on the list have it redirect you to that article and then you can find out the whole story and the links to the products on that same page. just don't count the first click on the first page so it's accurate don't you want the readers of this forum to be well informed?

10. SgtDirtbag

SgtDirtbag Scribbler - Standard Member

And I thought the subhead "% Share of xyz Clicks / Click Count" was a dead giveaway that it's just a simple click counter, nothing more.

Oh well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.