Anniversary - Upgrade Y/N?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by thatcomicsguy, Dec 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. messiah

messiah Scribbler - Standard Member

Well apparently .it happens in old systems. There is a large reddit thread on that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

W10 Pro update deferrals only work "up to" ten months and they apparently consider the Anniversary update mandatory. I couldn't stop my desktop from attempting the DL & install... and it failed. Then proceeded to try again with a fresh HUGE download but I stopped it by lying, telling it that the state park free wifi is a metered connection.

I'm fed up. I nuked W10 on my NUC and fresh installed good ol' W8.1. All I want is a stable OS with minimal mandatory downloads—my internet connection is usually cellular, rarely fast free wifi—and since security support for 8.1 lasts till 2023 this desktop will be dead or gone by then. Maybe I'll switch back to a Mac when the time comes. :p

3. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

... Or not. W8.1 had its share of issues, in particular a game that refuses to go properly full screen, so I'm doing the Anniversary via boot flash drive, from scratch. It didn't fail like the update did. Crossing fingers as it updates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.