Anniversary - Upgrade Y/N?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by thatcomicsguy, Dec 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've finally got a Win 10 system running which doesn't make me completely nuts.

-But it's an old Win 10 build, pre-Anniversary. I found various ways to lock MS out, to stop it from downloading updates or even pester me about them. (-It's a service! After all the insane hackery, Windows Update was only ever just a dopey service all this time. CTRL, ALT, flippin' DEL, and you no longer have to suffer the indignities of arbitrary and often unreliable brain surgeries at the most inappropriate times. -You can tell it to never start up from the task manager window. A solution SO simple that a legion of IT bloggers and tech writers couldn't figure it out over the course of two years since Win 10's launch. I found one reference in a long buried comment from some fellow who thankfully took the time to type: "Um, guys, it's a service. I just turned it off from the Task Manager. Why all the fuss?")

I killed Cortana and got the fonts to size correctly, got the blurred effects on old UIs to sharpen up.., among a dozen other things. Since October of last year, I've managed to pull much of the Borg Collective synapse ganglia out of my Dell Inspiron's brain. Some of it was still baked in too deeply, mind you; The "Action Center" defeated me, remains the single most annoying screen land mine I've ever encountered on an OS, but for the most part I can get work done and I don't want to kill my computer while doing it.

I'm quite content to sit pat.

But I hear there are new things the stylus can do if you install the Anniversary update. Refinements. Hmmm. I like refinements.

So my question is this: Is it worth allowing MS back into my computer's brain?

It's been a few months now for people to settle in. What are the advantages, -from a TPC user's perspective?

What are the disadvantages?

Is drawing on a computer with a pen better than it was before?

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  2. messiah

messiah Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi there what's the build of Windows 10 u have ? Can u make it available for download ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. thatcomicsguy

It's Windows 10 Home. Build 10240 -Came with the computer, and it has a bunch of patches from the Dell website added to it.

I have no idea how I would even start to make a multi-gig OS available to others or if it's even legal.

4. messiah

Actually this version is good. I am in the AU build now. It uses less CPU and ram but tiny performance jerks here and there.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. messiah

Preview builds are not illegal

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Interesting, could you share more details about this? Did you adjust ClearType or install an additional font rendering service like MacType?

If so, what settings did you use? I'm always looking for ways to improve visual clarity, particular on my desktop setup.

7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm loving the latest Insider Build, well on the way to the March Creators Update. Cortana has finally become useful by sitting on the lockscreen, you can call up simple information requests without ever logging in.

I've got the Anniversary Update installed on two Dells. No issues whatsoever, but I also haven't used those laptops to the extent that @thatcomicsguy has.

8. thatcomicsguy

It's been a while, so I can't remember all the settings I adjusted. -Each problem was basically a matter of "WTF? How do I fix this nonsense?" -And then lots of Googling and tinkering and once solved, putting it behind me. I didn't take notes, but many of them required HKEY adjustments, and others I used small bits of 3rd party software. Some were just regular menu settings.

However, there's one thing I do regularly enough to know off the top of my head with old UIs, which always render fuzzy if you don't adjust them:

With pre Win10 software, you right click on the .exe, (or even the desktop icon), then...

Properties ==> Compatibility ==> check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings".

That makes everything sharp and crisp. It works on the AutoHotKey button bar as well. The OS remembers the setting, so once checked, it stays that way for subsequent runs.

There are a couple of deep Windows functions where I couldn't find out how to apply this, "Device Manager" doesn't offer this menu and so it's always fuzzy when I pull it up; unlike say, a word processor or other application, I never have Device Manager open longer than a minute or two, so I've not been annoyed enough to fight with it to the finish line, (if there even is a finish line).

Font stuff I think was just a matter of making sure that the computer always scales at a percentage where the computer never has to average outside of a number of pixels perfectly divisible by factors of 2. (Like in Photoshop, where you scale at 12.5, 25, 50 to keep things sharp).

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  9. messiah

I am using a modified version of AU by sasnet ... u can find the iso in Google search terms

10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ah, the old integer scaling trick. ;)

If you're interested, there is a way to make even non-integer DPI scaling, like 125% and 150%, render crisply by reverting to the Windows 8.1 DPI scaling method.

This non-integer scaling issue particular affects 1080p and below screens for Windows 10.

If you're thinking of installing the latest build, be aware that AU is treated like a new OS. It will wipe your registry modifications to the OS defaults (and only keep "properly installed" program settings).

Also if you are looking to preserve disk space or optimize system performance, I would recommend downloading the ISO from MS and doing a clean install, rather than upgrade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.