Andromeda. Discuss

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by djas, Jul 24, 2018.

1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I agree in full about the pocket thing. Unless it's a tablet that folds down to a phone size, I just don't care. And these laptop-sized devices with screens on both sides are horrible as far as I'm concerned. If it's laptop-sized, I just want a physical keyboard instead.

Then again, there's some rumors of the Samsung device being 3.5" and unfolding to 7", that sounds ridiculous to me too though.

Personally, if I was to get a folding device (which for the record, I'm still not convinced on yet), I'd want it to be something along the lines of my Note8 when in phone mode, and tri-fold out to be about the size of a 10" tablet. (Eyeballing it, 3 of the Note8's screen would line up with the 10.6" Surface Pro 2 / Cube i7 Book size I use currently). But I would guess we're still years away from that sort of thing. It's just I'm not really convinced of the utility otherwise.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd like to think that all these folding devices won't go the way of the UMPC (Then renamed MIDs but died). Same as the Toshiba W100 (Which NO reviewer or web page seems to ever remember).

...Unless Apple releases it first.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Ha Ha, you beat me to it. Easy to carry if you are a millennial, have no taste in clothes or both:

[​IMG]

There is a big difference in portability between my old Asus Note 8 and my Surface Go. I carried my Note 8 in the front pocket of my briefcase like so:

[​IMG]

While my Surface 3 had to take up space in the briefcase.

[​IMG]

Tams and JoeS like this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Is be willing to borrow and parade around in one of @Mesosphere cargo pants if it would fit in one of those pockets.

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Tams, djas and WillAdams like this.
  7. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That is actually the "Lenovo Yoga Book 3"

WillAdams, dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

According to Mary Jo Foley, it looks like "Andromeda" is going the way of "Surface Mini" - maybe Samsung will do us a solid with either SPen support in the Galaxy F or bring back an 8-10" device with an S Pen.

Tams and WillAdams like this.
  9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I think you might be in a minority (within a minority) there. Current phone screens are far, far, far to big to be used with one hand. A device that has a big screen will probably be more appealing with a small second screen, as the second screen can be used for quick tasks. There's also the cost and the practicality (those electronics have to go somewhere).

WillAdams likes this.
  10. djas

djas Graffiti User