Android vs windows, penable tablet/convertible

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by colorsdiary, May 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colorsdiary

colorsdiary Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm considering between either of 2 options:
    Getting an android tablet while keeping my laptop.
    selling my current laptop and replacing it with a convertible.

( will use two answers for each option, either windows or android device )
    more context afterwards

General Questions.

What is your budget?
    Windows: Nothing above 600, including keyboard and pen. can squeeze another $100, but wouldn't like to.
    Android: I'll be getting the $300 Tab A 10.1

Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Windows:Refurbished, Yes. Used: maybe not
    Andoid: New

What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Windows: 12 and above, preferably 14
    Android : 7 to 10
    Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Windows: I will have to ship it, it's fine really. Also shipping cost is NOT included in the $600 so don't worry. It has to be available on Amazon, Ebay, Bestbuy or any website that support forward shipping or direct international shipping, not a showroom store.
    android: Local

Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Vaio if possible xD, not really; anything is fine.
    I have raised eyebrows regarding the cube mix though, the quality control and driver support is questionable.

How many hours battery life do you require?
    This is crucial.
    Windows: Due to the OS, battery can be baffling , especially when taxed. Also my current laptop is a 14 hours monster. sometimes I use it exclusively at school and charge it once a week. So I'd like the new one to be at least 8+.
    Android: Battery is usually good in android so it is irrelevant.

What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Windows: Nothing extreme. Merely document stuff ( an average keyboard is fine, but not a BAD keyboard), VGA port or HDMI is well appreciated, but not crucial. web browsing and of course drawing. Mainly Clip studio, maybe photoshop. Also I do read a lot of manga/comics/E-books.
    Android: Drawing, and multimedia. Android drawing apps are simple and limited, but then again I'm no professional and they can get things done. Also, I will be keeping the laptop if I get this so no documents usage here.

Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No
    Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    no

Screen Specifics

Any preference on screen resolution?
    FHD and above.
    Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    No.
    Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    I do require a pen, it has to be good. I'm fine with N-trig and used it before. I'm fine with samsung tab's pen too.

Component Specifics

What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    irrelevant.
    What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Windows: USB C is the future, so wish to have that. Full usb port is a must. SD is fine but not crucial. micro or full is irrelevant. HDMI or VGA or any monitor port for that matter is important.
    Android: irrelevant, anything goes.

Hi.

I really am not active in this forum, but I am grateful that this forum suggested me the Vaio tap S ( back when it was under Sony ), that however broke in 1 week due to my arrogant stupidity xD
    Anyway! I used to be a student back then, now I am a working teacher. Priorities changed a bit ( also budget !)

I own a desktop at home. So high ram, expensive processor and what not is irrelevant. Also, my current laptop is really really weak, like, weaker than a smartphone weak! and it is FINE. it is light and smooth since it has eMMC hard drive so again, excessive power is NOT needed.
    I am working in a school as a teacher, so having a laptop is very important, as my work is immersed in writing, preparing lesson plans, creating and preparing class education tools, powerpoint slidesو and my absolute favorite: writing exams :>
    That aside, having a laptop form factor is really convenient for my work.
    However; having a tablet form factor also has its merits. Tablets' are generally lighter and smaller, they're a breeze to read on ( I miss reading E-books ) and so on, not to mention drawing on them is crazy comfortable.

Thus, I was thinking maybe keeping my laptop and getting an android would be great. It is cheaper, lighter, and has better battery life and generally better media consumption experience.
    HOWEVER; I still believe that having a windows tablet is better. Generally since windows tablets CAN replace my laptop, resulting in less devices. Also, having a windows machine on the go means that as need arises, I can get things done on it. Something that android won't hope to do currently. Still, that means less convenient media consumption, and general usage on the go. Mainly, using touch on windows 10 is plainly stupid last time I checked ( only few apps used to support tablet mode, and even the file explorer isn't supporting tablet mode ) to top it off, windows store applications are way behind android applications ( I know full blown windows software blows android out of the water, but reading Ebooks software, manga, file explorer, video players and so on )

I do understand that the software of windows 10 matured a little for tablets. But Is it ready to jump on now ?
    Besides, it is physically impossible to be big and small at the same time. So I will be sacraficing either the 14" sweet size spot for windows ( with bars and all, windows I believe needs at least 13 inches ) if I go with small tablet. Or, I will be sacrificing weight and comfort if I decide to go with something like the ideapad or something ...

Help ? :l
    Oh also, I don't want fans. Let me repeat that, I DO NOT WANT FANS. Let me be more clear: Me, Fans, No.

Thanks, and sorry for making it too long ..

2. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

What subject do you teach? Do you need any Windows specific software in your teaching or lesson prep, or are you confident you can do all the writing you need to do in Android?

Are you willing to carry an external battery pack or keep a second power adapter at school?

There are several core m based (fanless) 12" Windows tablets to choose from that all charge via microUSB or USB C and could be easily topped off with a portable external battery if you don't want to mess with a power adapter. I think new, those would still be at the very top end of your budget, but many are on sale now as newer models come out so you may be able to find a deal. Keep in mind, to achieve a week's worth of leave it at school time, you'll likely also want to budget for an extra battery or power adapter.

I carry an external battery for my surfacebook because the outlets by the desk in my classroom are all in use by the ancient beast of a machine the school provides (that I do not use, hence my surfacebook). For reference, while not fanless, the fan on my core i5 surfacebook never comes on with the work I do at school. I've never actually needed the battery, but I've ended a few days where I'm projecting almost non stop near the end of surfacebook's battery life.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. colorsdiary

Thank you for your reply!

I don't think that I'd need to go that far. If the device has more than 7 hours of battery, I'll be good.
    Also replied within the quote in blue. Thanks

4. colorsdiary

Hi

I'm updating this thread to report that I've settled on, ordered, and have been using a Refurbished Surface pro 3. an i3 64Gigs model. I'm honestly having a blast !
    I haven't received a pen with it, using my vaio pen instead. I didn't get the keyboard either. The battery life is okay, although it could have been better.
    Seriously, it blew away my expectations. Especially the i3, with virtually no heat nor noise.
    Did I mention I got it for $360 ? Def. a steal.

Starlight5, violajack and WillAdams like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.