Android on slate

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by ridge outfitting, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Haven't had time to watch it yet, but here goes the link anyway. I hope the stream works for all.

Sorry. I meant to post in this thread:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hp-slate-500/40690-dual-core-atom-slate-q4.html

Mods, feel free to delete this post.

2. jrs159

jrs159 Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know how to get a copy of WebOS? I cant find it, at least the tablet version, available for download anywhere.

I recently tried MeeGo as well as that looks promising too. However the installation and the "live" mode do not work. I have read about people getting it working on a Virtual machine but thats it.

I do like Mirabytes FrontFace to help with the UI on top of Windows. But its not very good looking if you ask me. But I like that it has an app store and still uses IE for full browsing.

Just a poll real quick....Anyone else have issues with the Wireless being kinda slow? I have the Slate right next to my laptop. If I start a download of a program or something, my laptop will get about 2-3x faster download speeds than the slate. The internet we have here is crappy but still it should be about the same I would think.

3. krelvinaz

krelvinaz Systems Analyst

Just a guess, but I think the processor power of your notebook vs the slate might have something to do with the speed of your connection.

4. kartng

kartng Pen Pal - Newbie

jrs159: Is your Slate docked when the wireless performance issue is observed? I get about 50% more speed with the slate out of the dock than in it.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have my Acer and the slate on at the same time in my office quite a bit. The Wifi speeds are exaclty the same with the slate in the dock. The Slate, however, gets a far better signal strength from our wifi network than my Acer with its Atheros Wifi card.

Bronsky:cool:

6. jrs159

jrs159 Pen Pal - Newbie

It is docked when I see this. I will have to pop it off and test it out to see. Thanks for the ideas though...

7. clsate

clsate Pen Pal - Newbie

I just tried Ubuntu 11.4 which came out today. Live CD for 11.4 is working without modification on both USB and SDHC card :) Touchscreen and wireless appear to be working fine without any setup.

The included onBoard on screen keyboard was kinda weird to enable. It's in System > Preferences > Assistive Technologies, enable assistive technologies. Then in Preferred Applications, select it under Mobility and Run at start.

Not sure if audio is working. It just keeps looping some bongo alert sound. :(

And of course Intel's GMA500 fails again. There was a message prompt after installation saying it sucks too much to handle the Unity desktop. Why did HP decide to put such an old poorly supported crap in a new device... It doesn't even work well in Windows 7.

8. kartng

kartng Pen Pal - Newbie

I run Ubuntu 10.04 quite happily as a second OS on my slate. If you decide to do a hard-drive install (and my install lives quite happily in a 5 gig partition), I'd recommend Googling around for the EMGD drivers for the GMA500 (can't find the instructions for grabbing them atm, but it involves adding an unofficial "PPA" repository to your list of software sources and then grabbing the appropriate packages via Synaptic or apt-get). These drivers were the best fit for me, though I've never been able to get Compiz working with them (the Poulsbo drivers work fine with Compiz with a bit of hacking, but trip up on a couple of other apps that I care about where the EMGD drivers work great).

Can't help with the sound looping problem, as I never experienced it. I do think I've seen a similar issue on the Ubuntu forums, however, and as I recall, there was a fix.

9. jrs159

jrs159 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got my hands on WebOS 3.0 and I am working on getting it installed. I will let ya know what comes of it.

10. Sambo80

Sambo80 Pen Pal - Newbie

WebOS, that'd be awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.