Android on slate

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by ridge outfitting, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sambo80

Sambo80 Pen Pal - Newbie

I can confirm the following proceedure works, although only with the ViewPad img as any of the other go into a strange "Kjournald starting" loop.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

3. Sambo80

Sambo80 Pen Pal - Newbie

Now that would be fantastic!

A Dual booting HoneyComb/Windows 7 HP Slate, I have to go shower now......

4. jrs159

jrs159 Pen Pal - Newbie

I think that is we can get a copy of whatever is released on the HTC Flyer, we should be able to get that working. That will be the first release tablet with N-Trig and Android, at least that I have seen. Hopefully someone will be able to get this off the Flyer and we can try it on our Slates.

5. Soulpt

Soulpt Pen Pal - Newbie

What about a dual WebOS/W7 tablet from HP?

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Unless you run it in windows, it will probably not have pen support.

Bronsky:cool:

7. kartng

kartng Pen Pal - Newbie

Bizarrely, I can confirm that the pen does work in Linux (both Fedora 14 and Ubuntu 10.04). Honestly, if I had the time to compile a full android system with the Linux N-Trig driver in the kernel, I'd bet a dollar and a quarter it would solve the touchscreen problem. However, I agree with the sentiments above concerning access to the Flyer's source code - if that could be recompiled for x86, it would probably be very adaptable build for our Slates.

8. Mauibro

Mauibro Pen Pal - Newbie

I have lurked here for years and dont think I have ever posted.

I am very surprised nobody here has considered the implications of some of HP's statements about WebOS.

WebOS and Windows 7?

Consider what the statement below means for any future HP Windows 7 Tablets, convertible or slate.

"Starting next year, Hewlett-Packard will include its mobile operating system, WebOS, on every PC it ships, according to a story quoting new CEO Leo Apotheker. WebOS will be offered in addition to Microsoft's Windows, not as a replacement."

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20041158-260.html#ixzz1KNms2nSb

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  9. krelvinaz

krelvinaz Systems Analyst

Right now, WebOS is unproven. Hard to plan far in advance an OS that has not yet really been put in the hands of the consumers yet. Don't have a clue if it will accepted or not.

It is also quite possible it works well on a tablet and falls flat on a PC. I know from a work prospective, WebOS is almost DOA on a PC since we have such a large internal Windows application base.

Dual booting would not be a solution for that.

I would see WebOS/Windows dual boot to be more of a consumer, not business thing.

10. Mauibro

Mauibro Pen Pal - Newbie

Let me tell you, I know more about this stuff than I can say. What will follow is already public knowledge.

Actually webOS will run "within" a Windows environment, on windows machines. It is not a dual boot solution.
    The key strategy with webOS is that it will tie everything together.

Your phone, tablet, and PCs will all share the same webOS environment, through cloud syncing.

You need not "live" in webOS on the PC. But your phone and tablet info are there for easy access on your PC. Or you can do entry on the PC webOS environment and have it always with you on your phone.

It is like an entire OS serving the purpose of something like Evernote.

Let me tell you, webOS as an OS is superior to IOS or Android on a tablet. You may not know this YET, but I do.

The biggest issue is not the OS itself but the number of apps available.

That is another reason HP is putting the OS on Windows machines.

Having a gigantic installed base, is meant to draw developers to the OS.

Having webOS on the PCs of THE LARGEST PC MANUFACTURER THE WORLD HAS EVER KNOWN, will introduce it to the masses.

Back to the topic at hand, an HP Windows 7 "tablet" with webOS has the best of both worlds.

Do everything you must do in Windows just like you do on a Slate 500, but have the best touch centric environment for browsing, email, photos etc.

Finally, I tell you they are going after business HARD with the advantages of webOS with Windows.

You say it is webOS DOA for business but if the PC has Windows what the problem?

I will tell you that if you had webOS TODAY in a Windows environment on say a Slate 500, you would NEVER use a Windows browser. The webOS browser is THAT much better on a slate. You could use Outlook in Windows if you had to for work, but something like Gmail you would do in a webOS Window.

Frankly, I think WebOS on a Windows tablet is where the promise of the tablet PC will be fully realized for the first time.

I do not "know" of a specific device, but if webOS ships on all HP PCs as promised what does that tell you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.