Android Marshmallow (6.0.1) & CM13 on Dell Venue 8 Pro - Easy method

Discussion in 'Dell' started by jerryngm1, May 27, 2016.

1. jerryngm1

jerryngm1 Pen Pal - Newbie

This method is mainly based on instruction by VenueMark in this thread
    Please read the thread thoroughly before you attempt to do it.

Download

+ Android 6.0.1
    - Download: There are few builds that you can use:
    - Working: Wifi, Audio, Auto-Rotation, USB-OTG, Auto-brightness (Through an app) I don't know..
    - Not Working: Bluetooth, sleep mode, and many more....

+ Cyanogenmod 13
    - Download: cm13_android_x86_64-LEGACY-20160521.iso on Android-x86.net Forum
    - Working: As above, without Auto-rotation - I think you can still rotate the screen but you have to do it manually through an app?
    - Not Working: as above....

+ Tools:
    - Android x86 Easy Installer v1.2 on XDA forum (Note: Do not download the new version)
    - EasyUFI

Instruction
    Follow VenueMark's Instruction til Step 12: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...ome-other-32-bit-uefi-baytrail-devices.69306/

Leave it as is, DO NOT boot it.

Step 1: Now run "Android x86 Easy Installer" and select the ISO file you've downloaded.
    upload_2016-5-27_17-38-46.png

Step 2: Select the partition that you used for RemixOS as "Install to Partition" (If you have enough space, otherwise select other partition should be fine). Select 1GB for "User Data Max. Size" we will not use the generated data.img file so select the smallest one.

Step 3: Click "Install Now" and wait until it's finished. It will create a folder called "Android" in the partition you've selected.

Step 4: Go to the "Android" folder (E.g. E:\Android), cut these files and replace the original files in RemixOS folder:
    • system.img
    • kernel
    DO NOT replace initrd.img yet

Step 5: Boot to Android (Step 13 in VenueMark's instruction)
    While android is booting up, make sure you see this line "Testing/Checking Writing Speed..." (This is important!!). Wait until it's finished or until you see a single dash symbol ( _ ) blinking on the screen or the boot animation.
    !! Note: at this stage, android will not boot up.

Step 6: boot back into Windows (Hold power button for a few seconds)

Step 7: Go to the "Android" Folder again, cut everything (except data.img & boot folder) and paste them into RemixOS folder.

Step 8: edit grub.cfg file (Step 9 in VenueMark's Instruction) as follow:

set timeout=3
    set gfxmode=800x600 terminal_output gfxterm

#OTHER_OS_PLACEHOLDER

menuentry 'Remix OS' --class android-x86 {
    insmod /RemixOS/efi/RemixOS/ntfs32.mod
    insmod /RemixOS/efi/RemixOS/exfat32.mod
    search --file --no-floppy --set=root /RemixOS/kernel
    linuxefi /RemixOS/kernel root=/dev/ram0 androidboot.hardware=android_x86 androidboot.selinux=permissive DATA= SRC=RemixOS vga=current nomodeset video=VGA-1:800x1280e drm.vblankoffdelay=1 CREATE_DATA_IMG=1
    initrdefi /RemixOS/initrd.img
    }

Save it

Step 9: Boot back into Android and.. Tada, you now have Android Marshmallow running smoothly on your DVP8. Enjoy!
    Note: Auto-rotation will not work on the first boot, you'll need to restart.

Troubleshooting & Tips

Credit

- VenueMark for the original instruction to install Android on DVP8
    -
    MikeR1029 on Android-x86.net forum for building/providing download links for the android ISO files.
    - ExtremeGTX on XDA forum for Android x86 Easy Installer.
    Hopefully i do not miss anyone!

More photos to come :)

* DISCLAIMER - I am NOT responsible for any damage to software or OS.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  2. VenueMark

VenueMark Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice Job/Post Jerry, and thanx for all the Kudos. I look forward to hearing every ones results. I'm especially interested to hear if anyone manages to get the power button working, as in low power sleep and how long it'll run on a charge? Keep up the good work.... :thumbsup:

3. jerryngm1

Ye, and Wifi... But USB ethernet seem to work just fine.

And also audio..

The only workaround to make the screen deep black (sort of) is to use an app to dim the screen as low as possible then press power button. I don't know if it would save any battery tho (you could try it and please let me know the result). Anyways, you could just shut it down since boot up time is pretty fast, for me it is 30s... I think it's even faster than booting to windows 10.

Tip:

Plug in a usb device (e.g usb drive, wireless mouse) to the usb-otg port before you boot up so the port would be "activated" otherwise it will not work!

4. Etcman

Etcman Pen Pal - Newbie

I've successfully installed this on my tablet, however I keep getting "Google Play services" has stopped when I try to add an account.

I'm using android_x86_64-6.0.1_r43-LEGACY-20160516.iso.

Also, it doesn't seem as smooth as this guy's install:
    Any idea why that might be?

*EDIT* I can see that it's using software rendering via the VMware Gallium driver. In the video, the guy has the proper Intel driver, do you know how to enable it?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  5. Wafu

Wafu Pen Pal - Newbie

I think it's missing a lot of steps. I was able to follow all the steps too and it's good that Android finally booted up however, the performance is really slugish and playstore doesn't seem to work as intended. I think we need additional steps from lvlrdka22

6. jerryngm1

@VenueMark Sleep mode works on latest RC release. Links are on android-x86.org :)
    Sleep mode and stylus work on android 6.0.1 x86 RC release. links are on android-x86.org. Use the same method to install it.
    @Wafu @Etcman try the latest release. It run smoothly for me regardless of gpu driver version

7. vulcan4d

vulcan4d Pen Pal - Newbie

EDIT:

Finally worked, had to update my Bios since I had it running on the original version.

Graphics are sluggish and apps keep crashing like browser and google services. Still needs a little more work, let's see what tweaking can be done.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  8. Etcman

Etcman Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm, @jerryngm1 even using the latest image with the exact steps, the same slow performance and the Play Store crashes on launch (a seemingly known problem with software rendering and Play Store on x86) Even opening the app drawer is kind of choppy.

I think it's partly the nomodeset in the grub.cfg, but removing it just results in a black screen.

I wonder what I'm doing differently.

9. Mrbright83

Mrbright83 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi
    Which bios is recommended ?
    And which grub.cfg file we need to Edit... I have found At least 3 of them in different locations of remix os...

Tried 2 Times so far and always stuck At grub text mode ...grub\_

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  10. jroz2001

jroz2001 Pen Pal - Newbie

Same here...