Android - Locking down

Discussion in 'Software' started by excalibur1814, Sep 3, 2019.

1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hello all,

We're starting to use various Android mobiles, to use Microsoft Teams, so I was wondering if there's an easy way to lock the phones down? No app installs, changing the layout and limiting web access to x or y.

Thanks.

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You might get a ton of answers as there are lots of solutions out there from very basic to government level secure.

On the low end (and sort of free) is Meraki. It's pretty basic, but you can get your feet wet with it.

On the high end, Airwatch and Good Technologies make the most secure, but of course they cost.

BTW: they fight each other for customers tooth and nail, so if you go that route make sure that each knows you are looking at the other. You'll get a substantial discount off what the originally will qoute you.

PS: Be prepared for A LOT of grumbling from the rank and file. My experience is that they consider it a major invasion of their privacy and rights. Most companies then remind them who is footing the bill for the devices :)

3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thank you for that. I'll start looking tomorrow morning in work. The phones won't have a sim, which means wireless only. I know they'll have a go, try to change stuff, so I mainly want to keep them off the web whilst ensuring updates and Teams still works as intended. Fun :)

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just remembered that if you are a Microsoft shop, they have an MDM tool through InTune. I haven't used it and I don't know much about it other than it exists and is active directory/exchange compliant.

5. djas

djas Graffiti User

This is correct.

Also Knox MDM for Samsung devices.

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Intune as well as the other MDM/MAM solutions integrate with Knox - Also, Intune is just part of the capabilities of Microsoft Enterprise Mobility and Security (EMS).

djas likes this.
  7. kingstu

kingstu Pen Pal - Newbie

If they are Android Enterprise Recommended devices they can come with all sorts of setup and restriction capabilities as well as zero touch install. Might be worth checking out if that is what they are.