Android 3.0 on touchsmart

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by sarmasboy, Feb 1, 2011.

1. sarmasboy

sarmasboy Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if you've heard of anyone putting Android OS as one of their boot options on HP touchsmart? Considering that the Android 3.0 is specifically designed for tablets, do you think it is possible to put a fully usable version of Honeycomb on HP touchsmart tm2? Maybe you know if anyone is already working on it?

2. Juke

Juke Pen Pal - Newbie

3. sarmasboy

sarmasboy Pen Pal - Newbie

Well the problem with this is that it's an emulator, not Android actually running as the main operating system. Is it possible at all though?

4. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

There is no android for x86 processor (anything more serious than your iphone), other than a lonely project google can find you in no time. The biggest issue is not the fact, that phones and so called tablets are using a whole different architecture of processors, but the fact, that there are no drivers...

5. Seketh

Seketh Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

I think that might change with 3.0.

There was no reason to run previous versions on x86 tablets. 3.0, however, is designed for tablets. And with the amount of tablets being launched this year, a port is almost inevitable.

I think we should support any project that comes around to port it to x86, or even start our own. It's not impossible, just difficult.

Just imagine having all those dedicated tablet apps and games on a Tm2 :drools:

6. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

The porting to x86 will happen sometime, hopefully with Intel's full support, but it will still take a community to make things work.

7. Rossman

Rossman Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the internet already, I don't need it repackaged into apps (paid or free).

We (the tech community as a whole) spent a long time porting native apps over to be web apps and now apple and google want to repackage those back up into native apps (that you pay for of course, and they happen to take a cut). If you have a fully functional modern browser available to you there is no reason to need "apps" or an "app store".

My 2 cents, anyway :)

8. Thom4s

Thom4s Scribbler - Standard Member

Personaly I dont have a need for android 3 on my tm2. The tm2 is a powerfull laptop combined with tablet features. The stront point of the tm2 is the fact that it can run a full desktop os with ease. I dont see the point of android on my tm2.

I would definately try it, just because i can, but not because i would really run it.

Maybe as an instant on system which uses very very low battery, that would be something. But still, windows 7 goes out of sleep instantly too so ...

9. Rossman

Rossman Pen Pal - Newbie

and the TM2 also has that quick-boot O/S as well!

10. Alec

Alec Pen Pal - Newbie

11. Stewge

Stewge Pen Pal - Newbie

An official x86 port of Android is pretty unlikely. It would only serve to further segment Android hardware. Right now Android holds together because almost all target platforms run (relatively) low powered ARM architecture.

Your best bet is to hope ARM emulation on x86 improves with full hardware support.

12. GiOakJoe

GiOakJoe Pen Pal - Newbie

Iv been working on getting 2.2 working and got it finaly to duel boot with networking. Maybe down the road Ill get 3.0 working we will see

13. deyanimay

deyanimay Scribbler - Standard Member

any chance you could post how you got it to work?

14. GiOakJoe

GiOakJoe Pen Pal - Newbie

15. Alceste

Alceste Pen Pal - Newbie

I used the 3.x image for asus laptops and it runs fine except for the touchscren any solution anyone?

16. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

17. Alceste

Alceste Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey bluestacks is indeed a fine Programm, except for its sloppy feel and its incapability to run apps in portrait mode. However I would clearly prefer to have a dual boot machine wih windows and android.
    So does anyone have an idea how to get the touchscreen running in android 3?

18. Spey

Spey Pen Pal - Newbie

Why Android 3.0 on TM2 Tablet PC whose hardware was designed to run full O/S. On first thought it seems this would be a serious downgrade for a TM2 ...?

With Android being a low powered version of Linux, Android was originally developed for mobile phones and has since expanded to run on "low powered" tablets. Ubuntu is full O/S made for desktops and laptops and has/is also used on Tablets PC’s (especially older ones that do not have the power to run newer operating systems or for those questing open source). Seems logical option for TM2 might be Linux/Ubuntu (for those interested in open source freedom O/S).

I dual boot my Windows Mobile phone to play with various Android O/S’s, and I’ve considered dual booting TM2 with Mac OS for various reason (having fun with Mac-boys); but why Android on a stellar Tablet PC like TM2 designed for Win7?

Curious …,