An NOC sys admin new personal office workspace

Discussion in 'Professions' started by djas, Dec 11, 2018.

1. djas

djas Graffiti User

Life is looking up!

After nearly 15 years working for the same employer and a few steps up the corporate ladder (the lack of family life must have meant something) I finally get my own personal office: An old abandoned workspace!

The room is a mess. Those old tables has to go and IT needs to de- commissioned those old desktop PCs. The 3 huge Sony TVs are mine to utilise.

In this domain, my oldy Surface 3 rules!

Concept: Paperless Office

Furniture:

1 X Table with cable management.

Power:

Uninterrupted Power Supply

Equipment:

Surface 3 & Note 5, to be replaced with Galaxy Book 2
    or YogaBook2 C930 & Note 9 in Feb 2019.

This is a collage of the current state and layout of my office. Waiting for our vendor to come over to discuss my needs and requirements before renovating the office:

20181208_061810.jpg

[​IMG]

In the meantime. I did a quick diagram of what I want in terms of my PC equipment below:

Layout.png

Pretty simple requirement really. All advice and suggestions are welcome

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Starlight5 likes this.
  2. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@djas somewhat off-topic, but do Windows animations slow down become choppy for you when connecting additional display via Miracast?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    pierro78 likes this.
  3. djas

djas Graffiti User

I would say it depends on the type of Miracast dongles you connect. We invested on a fleet of Microsoft Wireless Adapter V2 a while back. The performance is top-notch. The latency is so minute you can't tell the difference, really.

Miracast is not meant for gaming, I don't think, but for everything else, it is great. At my workplace, we are all wireless, even our keyboard and mouse (BYOD) if you want to.

In addition, try to avoid built-in Wi-Di that come built-in into Smart TVs; they are not good at all.

Hope this helps.

pierro78 and Starlight5 like this.
  4. Starlight5

I am using a tablet as a portable wireless monitor, via Windows Connect feature which utilizes Miracast.

When I am maximing or minimizing windows on either main display, or wireless display, the animation of maximizing/minimizing windows is choppy, as if it goes in steps instead of one smooth sequence. It takes the same time for minimize/maximize, but this choppiness annoys me very much. So far I just disabled this animation.

Most people don't use Miracast/Wireless Display/Windows Connect at all, and information on the subject is very scarce...

pierro78 likes this.
  5. djas

djas Graffiti User

Yes! The facility is there natively. It is curios why very few people is aware of the capability.

Are you using:

1. Samsung's Smart view or
    2. A 3rd party Miracast Transmitter like Twomon USB Wifi app as Miracast-sink?
    When I had my Tab A, I used to Miracast to it from my Surface 3 as an extended display. It works very well with option 1. Not good at all with option 2. So YMWV.

As an aside, I Miracast my Note 5 all the time
    via Connect App to the Surface 3 when I need to present or show something to someone while I am out of office. They hold the Surface while I manipulate content on the Note 5. It's like "Wow! How do you do that?"

6. Starlight5

I am using a Windows 10 tablet (chinese Surface 3 clone with same display but faster CPU), it doesn't require any additional hardware or software just like Surface 3.

Actually I didn't know I could just disable these minimize-maximize animations until today, silly me. \= Still, I would appreciate if you check how they behave on your system with wireless display connected. The toggle can be found at System->Advanced System Settings->Performance Settings->Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing.

As for projecting from smartphones - I use always-on VPN, and was unable to make Wireless Display on Android work while VPN client is active. )=

pierro78 likes this.
  7. djas

djas Graffiti User

Ah, via Connect then. I have no answer for you vis-a-vis the animation latency. Maybe check the build of the clone's wifi card. It might be that. You already turned off animation so that should help.

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. Starlight5

Without animation all is fine and dandy. The animation is not late, but choppy. It becomes choppy on laptop's display as well, as soon as I connect wireless display. Guess I'll just keep it disabled, then.

djas likes this.
  9. djas

djas Graffiti User

I made a YouTube video about Miracast 2nd display if you are interested in watching. Click on my signature and search for "MS Surface 3 extended its screen"