An improved PDF reader for the EEE NOTE?

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by lroncero, Aug 8, 2011.

1. lroncero

lroncero Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks to all the developers for their help with this great device. I am just a user who has benefited from all the applications and comments in this forum.

It has been commented in other posts that the PDF reader is not the best for our EEE Note tablet. More often than not, we find that the text is too small and adjusting the size of the document with the pen is needed, which is indeed not too convenient. On the other hand, EPUB documents seem to work fine, yet the ones previously installed in the EEE Note (like the manual) are converted as images from PDF, so they cannot be resized.

For those people like me, who would also like to benefit from the e-reader capabilities of this gadget, I would love to see a much better PDF reader. I checked the QPDF in the sourceforge website, but I know nothing about programming and do not dare to install anything.

Would it be possible for some developer to create a PDF reader that can allow us to fix the extra border problem?

I would really appreciate it, and of course, I am willing to contribute to that development.

I use my EEE Note for reading and taking notes mostly.

Many thanks in advance.

(If anyone needs any help with the Chinese menus, I can be of help with that)

2. domee

domee Pen Pal - Newbie

I second that very much! I too use the EEE Note (which i received just this morning yay :)) mainly for pdf reading and note-taking. What's a little problem so far is that when I use zoom (say 125%) and then center the page manually with the hand symbol, it does not save its position for the following pages. So I have to do it for every single page in the document, which is somewhat annoying...

Apart from that I'm quite happy with the EEE Note so far...

Greets,
    domee

3. sarah11918

sarah11918 Pen Pal - Newbie

Congrats on your new toy, domee!

Strange, I don't have that problem you mention. (I do remember someone asking me about it, and I tried it out on a 17 pg pdf.) When I reposition on one page of the pdf, then click to the next page, I'm still in that position.

Not that we couldn't use a better pdf reader, of course. But I just don't seem to have that issue.

4. lroncero

lroncero Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Sarah,

How strange! My reader does not keep the page position when I flip pages. It basically treats the page as a picture.

Could you please tell me the update version of your machine? You can see that in settings.

Mine is V.1.0.14.118. I updated just today (8/8/2011).

A better PDF reader would be one with word search functions, but especially one that would solve the margin problems. That is my main concern. I tried converting pdf files into EPUB, but they do not keep the same format, unless you convert them as images. Even in that case, the EPUB files cannot be zoomed in nor out. An example of this is the EEENote reader manual file that comes with the machine.

The other problems is that the zoom only goes to 50-80-100-125-150-200-400%. It would be great to have the possibility to zoom to other percentages.

By the way, I live in Taipei. If someone should need the Eee Note 800 or even the new colour screen version, I do not mind helping with that. Besides being much cheaper (mine costed only 6500 NT$ (New Taiwanese Dollars), around 160 euros) the barrier of Chinese is not an issue anymore with the developments posted in this forum.

Any comments from programmers?

Btw, the web browser Lightweight2 is amazing. I love it! Thanks a million for it. I am trying to setup the email client, which is very sexy too.

5. domee

domee Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you, Sarah :)
    That's weird with our page positioning differences... I've only worked with a single pdf so far and will check how it works with different pdfs tomorrow.

6. PF4Tablet

PF4Tablet Pen Pal - Newbie

One thing should be added here: the PDF reader has a landscape mode. If you switch to this mode reading PDFs becomes very comfortable but the annotation function is reduced to NIL. If this could be fixed it would be great

PF

7. sarah11918

sarah11918 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have also only tried with one particular pdf. If I get the chance today, I'll see whether I can replicate it with other documents, too. It could just be a weird coincidence.