An alternative to the Yoga Book (windows)

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Quistnix, May 12, 2018.

1. Quistnix

Quistnix Pen Pal - Newbie

A little over a year ago, I bought a Lenovo Yoga Book Windows for digital drawing and some light typing and games. Unfortunately, the keyboard cracked. I can't get it repaired under warranty, but I can get a full refund. I might just get a new one, but maybe there's something better suited available these days. I loved the portability, flexibility and battery on the Yoga, but sometimes it struggled with big sketches.

The questionnaire:

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    About €500 / $600

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Sure

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Preferably a 2-in-1

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Under 11 inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Netherlands

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    I only need a couple of hours, but more is a big plus

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Mostly drawing, but also some typing

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows 10

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    I mainly used Mischief and Tracing, but I always like to test new software

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Mostly 2D turn based games like Invisible Inc or Darkest Dungeon, but being able to run World of Warcraft or Dark Souls on lowest setting (which the Yoga Book could -barely) would be very nice.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    HD is nice

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Nice to have, but not required

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Yes, pressure sensitivity is very important. I'm not really attached to a technology, all of them seem to work fine for me.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    64 gb and 4 gb ram is the absolute minimum, more would be nice.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    No real requirements.

I've looked at the Samsung Galaxy Book, Cube Mix Plus or maybe a refurbished Surface (Pro). Is one of these a clear winner? Any other devices I should consider? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Yoga Book is pretty unique in that it doesn't actually have a pen digitizer built into the screen, right? It's basically a Intuos pad next to the touchscreen you draw on? I don't have many recommendations for the form factor and your needs, you seem flexible and could fit a wide variety of devices, ..though my gut says a Surface Pro might be perfect for you... but I'm more interested how your drawing experience was with the Book. Had you had experience with pen tablets like the intuos or bamboo before this? Most people who haven't used those types of tablets before much prefer to draw directly on the screen. Just curious how you came to that decision.

3. Quistnix

I came to the Yoga Book from the HTC Flyer (which was amazing for drawing but stuck on an ancient OS) and the Tegra Note 7 (which was okay-ish). I've also used bamboo in the past, the separation of screen and drawing area was no problem for me. Having a pen digitiser in the screen as well would've been even better tho.

Edit: what drew me to the Yoga Book was the flexibility, where I could use it to do some light coding, some drawing or just use it as a regular tablet. I didn't want the hassle of having to carry a separate keyboard and I liked the slim profile.

4. Quistnix

A Surface less than 11 inches would mean a Surface pro 2 or a Surface 3. How would these compare to the Yoga Book, performance-wise?

5. stoneseeker

Not sure about performance on the Book since I've never tried the Yoga Book, but I'm sure you could compare benchmarks online if you tracked some down. Here's a list of 2 in 1's with stylus in the 11" and under club:

Cube i7 Book/Stylus/MixPlus -- Wacom EMR, affordable but seemingly low end specs.
    Samsung Galaxy Book 10.6 --- Wacom EMR, also pretty low specs
    Dell Latitude 11 5000 series -- Wacom AES, better specs, but also pricier.
    Fujitsu Stylistic 665 -- Wacom EMR, decent specs, probably really expensive.

Honestly, trying to go 11" and under limits your options a fair amount... Those are just the ones that come to mind in that size range, there are probably more hopefully someone on the forums with experience and passion for the smaller tabletPC's can chime in with some experience.

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Both the galaxy book 10.6 and cube i7 outperform the atom on the yoga book I'd say. ;)

7. stoneseeker

It's an Atom?! Oh geeez, yeah these will all be running laps around that experience OP.

8. Quistnix

Good to know, thanks. I'll go compare some prices and reviews.

9. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not an artist, but I've been using a Latitude 5179 for a while and it would fit the bill. It is pricier, but it's available via EBay or Amazon here in the USA for around $300 in used good condition in the core m5 8gb 256gb configurations. I'd recommend the 5175 over the 5179, as it's much slimmer because it doesn't have the Smart Card reader and fingerprint reader, which you don't seem to need, and much cheaper. If you drop down to a Core m3 4GB/128GB configuration (which will easily run laps around your Yogabook), you can buy a used one with a keyboard dock bundled for under $300 on EBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...t&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=dell+latitude

Some selling points for the Latitude 5175/5179:
    * Very bright screen
    * Battery life. It outperforms most (all?) of the other options mentioned here in battery life, and if you get the Venue 11 Pro keyboard dock or Latitude 11 keyboard dock to go with it (either one has an extra battery), the battery life goes from above average to excellent.
    * The Venue 11 Pro keyboard is really nice to type on
    * Of the options mentioned here, it is by far the easiest to service. I've not done it yet, but you can pop off the back and buy a new battery and replace it.
    * Excellent speakers; the best I've ever had on a tablet and louder and clearer than my phone by a good bit
    * While the 16:9 aspect ratio gets a bad rap, there are some advantages to it in this compact convertible usability, imo
    * Fully lapable as a traditional laptop when you use the keyboard dock, like the Lenovo Yogabook, but unlike many (all?) of the other alternatives mentioned here. That's huge for me.

One downside might be that the digitizer sometimes used to be wonky when I took notes. It seems to have gone away and I've not seen other users complain about it, so that might not be an issue, but you may want to check with some other Latitude 11 users before you spring for it if you are using it for art.

As for the Surface 3 or Surface Pro 2, the latter should outperform the Yogabook (core I-series processor), and I would expect that the former would as well, but it would be a closer call (Atom x7).

Another used option to consider, if you can find a good one used, might be a Lenovo Thinkpad 10. The performance should be about what you got on the Yogabook, maybe a bit better (high end Atom processor), but it uses a Wacom EMR digitizer, which I find to be very nice to write with, and artists seem to like to draw with it.

10. Quistnix

Thanks, that looks pretty good. But I'm going to hold off for a bit. The rumored Yoga Book 2, the cheaper Surface and the Microsoft Andromeda all look pretty interesting, so I'll wait for more information on those.

HJK likes this.