AMD Ryzen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve S, Feb 15, 2017.

1. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

We have several AMD handheld PC game consoles coming (like the Aya Neo), so that is a step in the right direction.

RT545 and Marty like this.
  3. instred

instred Pen Pal - Newbie

So over 150 laptop/mobile wins for the new AMD Ryzen 5000 mobile CPU's. Do you think we will actually see some nicer 2n1 offerings with AMD chips this year? Man I would love to have the new Lenovo Thinkbook 14S yoga with the new AMD 5800U chip inside. That would be a killer mobile laptop for my needs. Okay, time to wake up as it most likely is not going to happen. Lenovo will put it in the Flex line with a low nit screen. I would love to eat these words. Come on Lenovo you can do it!

4. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

Anybody see the Asus ROG X13 Flow? Looks promising... though I'm not sure how Asus' active pen is.

5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

ARM and Intel are using big.LITTLE, but AMD's upcoming Zen 4 looks like it might be using a "LITTLE in big." A theory is this mini processor is a LITTLE core embedded inside of the big core. In one respect, this is a smarter approach than Lakefield. Lakefield required OS scheduler optimization and recompiling to fully utilize its cores. The advantage here is preexisting code can be optimally executed at the silicon level, largely independent of the code and the OS, by routing internally. Potential game changer! If this is not the case, another theory is this mini processor is just there to optimally manage core activity.

upload_2021-1-14_11-15-48.png

Link:
    https://twitter.com/Underfox3/status/1349634402616283137

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Steve S likes this.
  6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Wow, lots of exciting microprocessor news this week! Not as megaton as Qualcomm buying Nuvia (and the main architect of APple A and M series), but potentially just as exciting if your first speculation is correct about Core-ception approach for Zen 4.

7. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Is that really a knock though? To be a lifestyle company, you need a distinct yet ubiquitous brand presence, with a wide range of successful consumer products that have withstood generations of changing fashions and fan bases.

Many companies wish they could be lifestyle companies.

9. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

@Marty. I think he intended it as an insult eg. they aren't a real tech company and as such missed the mark. I'm pretty certain that intel or pretty much any tech company would be more than happy to be Apple-like , right now.

10. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hey, at least the new guy is an engineer and not money counter like last guy. That's a positive change at least...