AMD Ryzen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve S, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

There is news out this week stating that there is officially a Renoir shortage in the market for Q3 2020.

2. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So this info on Tom's Hardware today is really intriguing for multiple reasons including especially for what looks like AMD's answer to Ice Lake.

If I"m understanding it correctly, their's is a MUCH better approach to asymmetric cores under Windows. As Anandtech and our own testing of the Galaxy Book S with ice lake showed, windows and 99% of apps basically grab the high performance cores and never let go. I'd argue that it's at least as much a windows issue as a chip one, but regardless, this looks to be a vastly superior approach.

I wish there was more solid info on when there chips would actually be available, maybe in time for the Neo 2 ??? :D:eek:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-patent-biglittle--hybrid-computing-implementation

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

[​IMG]

Can confirm. I am one of the few several dozen of lucky souls in the world to snag a Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G (two actually; one is going to a forum buddy elsewhere), and I only just now received it. They had orders lined up in the US totaling at just over 20 in late July at Ingram Micro and all preorders were abruptly canceled in mid August. At that point, I had to order from the gray market in China just to get my hands on one. AMD's APU supply chain is extremely constrained at the moment.

Shogmaster likes this.
  4. sonichedgehog360

Intel's 11th Gen Tiger Lake-U has ferociously clawed in a 15-20% single-threaded performance lead over rival Ryzen 4000 Renoir APUs, but that momentary victory is about to be erased with the forthcoming introduction of AMD's Ryzen 5000 Cezanne APUs. In the same vein as the Ryzen 5000 desktop CPUs which were able to serve up about a 35% performance gain gen-over-gen, Ryzen 5000 mobile APUs are billed to offer virtually a 40% gain in single-threaded performance. This should thoroughly close the single-threaded performance gap while placing a healthy 15-20% distance of performance lead between them and Tiger Lake-U. Further, while no surprise at this point, I fully expect Ryzen 5000 to continue to dominate in multithreaded performance in the same take-no-prisoners fashion as AMD did with Ryzen 4000 by serving up about double the multithreaded performance.

Source:
    https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-...superb-laptop-chip-that-could-blow-away-intel

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

OK; now you're gloating...

6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm more looking forward on RDNA2 GPU CUs in 5000U SoC. Basically an improved XBox Series S SoC for your laptop!

7. Steve S

8. instred

instred Pen Pal - Newbie

But at what power consumption LOL

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

The tech news (like most of the mainstream news) needs to up their vetting. Case in point, here are 5800X results across all resolutions. So much for the rumor the 11900K would decimate a 5950X. The 11900K with a higher end 2080 Ti cannot hold a candle to the 5800X with a lower-end RTX 2080. Here the 5800X scores 7000 and hits 71 frames per second with a lower end RTX 2080. The rumored 11900K when given the higher-end RTX 2080 Ti scores 6200 and hits a paltry 63 frames per second. If anything, if those 11900K results are indeed legitimate, Intel is in dire straights because their 8-core Rocket Lake-based Core i9-11900K offers significantly worse performance than AMD's latest 8-core Ryzen 5800X processor.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  10. Steve S