AMD Ryzen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve S, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

YAY 2 SoDIMM slots!!!
    BOOOO 40WHr battery....

Also I didn't know Dell used AES on Inspirons still. I thought only their high end used AES and used MPP pn the rest but 7000 series is considered high end? Not with that battery and screen they are not lolz)

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This model is using MPP1.51 from the spec sheet, which lists the PN350M as the pen:

(Dell — PN350M)
    "Grab your black Dell Active Pen – PN350M and take notes or sketch a diagram on your 2-in-1 as if you were writing with pen on paper. With up to 1,024 levels of pressure sensitivity...

Connectivity Technology
    Wireless (Microsoft Pen Protocol)"

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  3. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

Argh. My bad. I didn't know Dell used MPP on some of their devices. How does MPP1.51 compare to AES 2.0? I'm guessing the answer is no.. but is it as good as the Surface Pro 6 or even 7?

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Biggest difference in raw spec is no tilt, lower pressure resolution and lower report rate (133Hz vs 240Hz AES 2.0). But qualitatively, MP1.51 is around the SP3-5 era of devices, so I think the high-jitter and reduced hover responsiveness will be felt the most.

Tablets using the same protocol version won't necessarily perform the same though. The biggest factor is the huge variance in quality of Elan digitizer and controller used:

(WinHEC 2018)
    [​IMG]

Gen6+ is circa 2018 (SP6/SG1), so my guess it's probably using a cheaper Gen5/6 panel, so expect SP4-5 levels of performance.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    jedah likes this.
  5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I thought so. Dell is pretty much only using AES on XPS and Latitude lines I think.

As for Dell's MPP, outside of MS, you prolly won't ever get Pixelsense Accelerator, and end up with chunky a$$ digitizer grid which = diagonal wobble city. I don't give two $hits about tilt tho. lolz

basically if you are not MS, you treat MPP as cheap pen solution and AES as the premium pen solution. And if you REALLY want to live in pen ghetto, you use USI pens. EMR only comes into play in weird Chrome OS situations where they deem pen battery/charging as a no go, or for artist oriented specialty devices where they want to ravage your wallet. And Samsung.

jedah likes this.
  6. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

So I'm beginning to see a few 4500u and 4700u laptops. Any word on the multithread variants 4600u and 4800u? I thought the Slim 7 was supposed to have the 4800u, but Lenovo only released the 4700u (at least in the US). I'm seeing rumors of the the next Surface Laptop getting it, but that won't be until at least October, and that's not a convertible either.

The 4700u already sounds awesome, but some benchmarks are showing the 4800u competing with Intel H series processors.

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member