AMD Ryzen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve S, Feb 15, 2017.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

That is craziest thing about all this: like you said, this is quite literally powerhouse desktop or desktop replacement performance crammed into a mere 14-inch thin and light, 3.5-lb notebook form factor. Zen 2 microarchitecture is truly the Athlon 64 of this generation—and much, much more! It’s got boundless performance up its sleeve at lean and mean energy efficiency that puts their Intel hot and power hungry competition to shame. My only hope is the Surface Pro 8 uses the Ryzen 9 4900U because it would be transformative in performance and power efficiency. It may be possible AMD is not disclosing the 4900U until their partners including Microsoft decide to lift the curtains on their products that feature it. I can only hope it makes the cut because Intel’s same-old, same-old quad-core Tiger Lake U products look like a huge downer, a disservice to the Surface name whose heritage demand industry leading advancements and performance. A Tiger Lake U-based Surface cannot possibly compete favorably with an Renoir 8-core product, so if Microsoft drops the ball, I hope an AMD-based clone challenges them and beats them at their own game to show them what for.

EDIT: Saw this and knew it was worth a thousand words. Renoir would be most proud of this masterpiece:

upload_2020-3-30_22-59-38.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    RT545 likes this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...My only hope is the Surface Pro 8 uses the Ryzen 9 4900U...>>

I suppose it's possible, but don't forget that Microsoft has a tendency to use last generation processors in some of their products... likely the result of being burned by... Haswell, was it...?

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

4. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Really looking forward to AMD in portable. I just built a AM4 workstation to gradually replace my 2010 Mac Pro. All told cost was about $1600 (Ryzen 3900X, RTX 2070 Super, ect) that is more than twice as fast as my maxed out Dual X5690!

Kinda hoping HP updates the Zbook X2 w Ryzen, although my current X2 has been great.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  5. sonichedgehog360

Yeah, except they kind of broke that rule again with Surface Pro 7 and were among the first to sport Ice Lake to market. There is also the dag blamed Wintel alliance they seem to want to still hold some historic respect towards. Honestly, they should kick Intel to the curb now since AMD’s Zen 2 on mobile or Renoir has the energy efficiency advantage with performance per watt by up to a factor of 3.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...except they kind of broke that rule again with Surface Pro 7 and were among the first to sport Ice Lake to market...>>

Yes, with Intel. But AMD probably has more unknowns for them, and I expect them to be more cautious with their products.

They certainly don't want any hardware disasters right now...

7. sonichedgehog360

No disasters here. AMD, unlike Intel who does the reverse, releases their microarchitecture first on desktop, next on server, and finally and much later on mobile. That would mean that Renoir/Ryzen 4000 mobile is battle-tested Zen 2 through and through with all the bugs ironed out. Some users including myself on occasion have complained about this since it means their mobile is dead last to the microarchitecture party and the naming also is confusing since the mobile parts shares the same naming as that year's upcoming microarchitecture on desktop parts. But the laser-sharp advantage for AMD and cautious adopters is once AMD releases their mobile processors, you can trust it will be rock solid.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Marty likes this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Meanwhile all the "high end" laptop and 2 in 1 leaks point to more stanky 14nm+++++++++ Intel 10th gen nonsense. 17" Dell XPS just got leaked with Intel. I'd love to try full 'tard again with upside down 17" laptop if the 17" XPS has AES like all other XPS laptops but I want 4900HS!!!

10. instred

instred Pen Pal - Newbie

Makes you wonder how much Intel is paying Dell again :(

I want something like the HP Envy 2n1 with the new AMD 15W chip

Tams, Shogmaster and sonichedgehog360 like this.