Amazon Fire 7 (2017) Review: Looks Good, Costs Less

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Administrator, Jul 5, 2017.

1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Amazon offers a pair of tablets designed to make it easy to access this company’s ebooks, video service, and online shopping mall. The Fire HD 8 is the larger model, while the new Fire 7 stands out for its $49.99 pricetag.

This is the replacement for 2015’s Amazon Fire, and is the first in this size to come with built-in support for Alexa, Amazon’s voice-driven digital assistant.

Can even Amazon make a good tablet that’s this affordable? Read on to find out.

Read the full content of this Article: http://www.tabletpcreview.com/tabletreview/amazon-fire-7-2017-review-looks-good-costs-less/

2. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

The Amazon Fire 7 is going to be just $29.99 for Prime Day. This deal starts later on July 9, and lasts through tomorrow.

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

That is one redonculous price.
    No way they regain production costs at that price. Too bad I don't live in the US.

4. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

I remain convinced that Amazon's strategy is make up for the cost of the Fire 7 by selling people games, music, etc. I'd guess that just one year of Amazon Prime would go a long way to cover the production cost. Heck, Amazon would probably give this tablet away if there weren't millions of people who'd take one and stick it in a drawer. So I'm assuming the plan is to charge just enough that only people who really want one take it.

Considering how much Apple makes by selling apps, movies, etc. to iPad and iPhone users, those devices should be a bit more affordable too. That said, this could explain why the 9.7-inch iPad (2017) cost $170 less than I would have expected Apple to charge for it.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Oh, you're absolutely right, I was thinking more along the lines that this may backfire and bite Mr Bezos in his tuchus when DoJ comes running with the Taft-Hartley laws of whatever you call those anti-trust laws you use to break up monopolies with. Selling something under cost is usually proof of trying to gain a monopoly.