Amateur artist wanting a tablet PC to replace their computer.

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Pinte, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinte

Pinte Pen Pal - Newbie

I read the rules and the (very long) FAQ for tablet PCs. So I think it's alright for me to post this since I'm still unsure what tablet PC I should get.

Sorry if I shouldn't be posting here. :(

1. What is your budget?
    Around $500 CAD but upto $1000 if it's exceptionally good.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    I'm fine with used or refurbished, just hope it's not as pricey as it's original market retail price.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    I'd like a notebook convertible if possible.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Anything over 10 inches, 15 inch would be extremely nice since I'm looking for a computer replacement since I move around way too much. It's just not possible to bring your monitor graphics tablet everywhere you know. Plus I get up and go like every hour so this is why I'm posting here.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    I live in Canada so it's very hard to find things shipped here.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No really but I prefer if it's not Samsung.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    More than my current laptop that only lasts upto two hours with only SAI, Opera, Evernote, Skype, etc in the background. :(
    (I'm a powerhouse user though, my last computer died from being used too much with over 200 tabs on Opera. :p)

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    All of the above, but drawing is the main idea. Anything that will run Sims 3 playable. (I don't have it but I'm thinking of getting it and it would be a shame not to be able to play that game.)

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    I am a Windows 7 fan and don't really like Windows 8.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Paint Tool SAI, (RarelyPhotoshop), Microsoft Word, etc. Not much really, just lots of repeated tabs on the same programs. :(

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Maybe but I rarely play MMOs. So not really planning on playing games there.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    HDMI would be a nice thing since I have other monitors.

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    I'm a spoiled person and like HD, but anything lower is fine!

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    I go outside at night and at day rarely for meeting friends, I'm a vampire obviously. But yes, I would prefer to see the screen a little bit if the sun is out.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    I prefer Wacom and pressure sensitivity is a must. You can throw out everything up there out the window if it doesn't have pen pressure.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    500 GB with 4 GB RAM is doing me just fine on this laptop (Only used like 100 GB) but atleast 254 GB will be nice.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Full sized USBs (if possible, more than two), SD card, HDMI.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    Sorry for intruding your forums!

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    Please tell me if I'm looking for the impossible. :(

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Your budget and expectations give you a very wide range of tabletPC's to look at. Not impossible at all :)

Fujitsu T901 used or refurbed might be in your higher price range.
    HP2760p you may find used in around $1000
    T900, T5010 will definitely be in your refurbed price range.
    So will a 2740p
    you may wanna look at the Lenovo X220t as well.

new convertibles that carry wacom are outside your budget, so just start scouring Ebay for the above devices, or consider a lower power slate as well... such as the Samsung series 7 slate (older model) or the Asus EP121.

All these will be great for sketching and drawing in Sai. Heck even really old convertibles (with nice huge screens) can draw in Sai. Just look up a few posts by Thatcomicguy to get a better idea of a few options in the old and beautiful department!

3. Pinte

Pinte Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there any dedicated graphics card tablet PCs? I'm not so sure about integrated graphics chips because my current laptop has crashed more than once in a hour because of it.

4. stoneseeker

The only more recent offering in the tabletPC world with dedicated GPU is the Fujitsu T901 with optional Nvidia GPU 2400M NVS

However, all the recent machines with integrated HD4000 are about the same power. Integrated graphics have come a long way for casual use, so they shouldn't be causing your system to crash unless you are working with high polygon meshes in Maya, or trying to run a AAA title game on ultra settings.

5. Pinte

Pinte Pen Pal - Newbie

I see. I have HD3000 on this laptop hm.
    I'm thinking about the Fujitsu T902 but the pressure levels is only 256 which is making me wonder whether or not to just buy a crap laptop and buy a cintiq which is not what I was going for since I was looking for a portable thing. I have a Yiynova DP10 and this laptop but it's not cutting so well even if it's pretty portable since Yiynova didn't make these things very well.

I'm open for another $500 since I think I can scrape some more money into this search.

6. Pinte

Pinte Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I see that you seem to like double posting that post. Haha. :)

Also: This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.
    :(

7. stoneseeker

Don't let so called "pressure levels" fool you. You will notice it takes slightly less pressure to start a line on a cintiq, but that is all. Certainly the Cintiq will give you more screen real estate and would be nice, but it's not portable, which is what your looking for.

The pressure levels in ALL tabletPC's is 256. Due to firmware hacks, some manufacturers "claim" 512-1024 levels, but it still the exact same technology breaking up the same range of pressure to work with into smaller increments that make no real world difference. I doubt you or anyone else will feel the difference between the galaxy note -1024 and the T902 -256. It's been discussed lots on here before, and the consensus is it is definitely subtle, if at all noticeable, even for professional artists. The differences I notice that are far more jarring between the cintiq and the tabletPC is the worse edge accuracy, and worse drivers.

The T902 is expensive, but for an artist looking for a powerful all-in-one tabletPC, it is the best out there by a long shot. Large, high res screen. with laptop-powerful specs. It's just missing a dedicated GPU, but then again, so are all current tabletPC's.

*EDIT* yeah, I deleted the accidental double post.

8. Pinte

Pinte Pen Pal - Newbie

I see. I'm on mymother's iPhone now since my laptop decided to oull a BSOD on me again.
    I'll try to get a t902 then, but kind of worried if Wacom gives out that new product they're making after I buy. :(

9. stoneseeker

yeh, curious to see what it is. It won't be revealed until summer I think.

10. Pinte

Pinte Pen Pal - Newbie

Is it possible to be able to find an online store where I cam customize the Fujitsu T902? Just wondering because RAM and etc.