Am I the only one to find YouTubers annoying

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Kumabjorn, Jan 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Absolutely agree. But those are semi professionally made videos, not just a person staring into a laptop's front facing camera.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

:) agree. Guess I never even see the kinds of videos you're referring to - thankfully. Sorry, didn't mean to get on my high horse.

(Btw, he's really not in "our space," but if you haven't ever seen linustechtips I highly recommend them - you learn a lot but he is lmao funny!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I've learnt to recognize them. I'm curious about peoples' experiences in Japan and there are a fair amount of those "one man" shows but I just move on within 30 seconds if they haven't said anything interesting by that point.

It usually starts like: "As I promised you guys last week, I'd do a follow up video to my visit in Kyoto, and this got me thinking abut this cat I saw..." snooze

ORTOX and wytn like this.
  4. KlickSter123

KlickSter123 Pen Pal - Newbie

Lol. I think I watched a travel video with that exact opening line! :D:D:D

5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My problem is with YouTube recommendations. Over the years it's become a real nuisance, filling my screen with stupid videos that I couldn't care less about, and none of the channels that I'm subscribed to. It doesn't matter no matter how many times I tag those as "not interested." And worst if you make the mistake of clicking on any of those. Is this what AI is all about? Color me unimpressed.

Sent from mTalk

Kumabjorn and dellaster like this.
  6. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

It is very annoying, yes. I have come to the conclusion that marking things "not interested" flags them as things that get your attention, so Google sends more like them. Especially ads that you tell them you don't want to see anymore—Google sees that as a successful ad. :mad:

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. ORTOX

ORTOX Scribbler - Standard Member

I just mentioned this on another thread, http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...smartphones-is-that-an-addiction.74378/page-2, but I came across this website the other day:

http://humanetech.com/take-control/

They link to a really neat Chrome add-on that may be worth checking out.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...n-free/mjdepdfccjgcndkmemponafgioodelna?hl=en

It "removes recommended videos from the side bar of youtube, making you less likely to get sucked in to unintentional content-holes. (Does not currently disable autoplay.)"

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. KlickSter123

KlickSter123 Pen Pal - Newbie

Looks really helpful. But it doesn't remove the Google ads, right?

9. ORTOX

ORTOX Scribbler - Standard Member

That I'm not sure of. I doubt it.

10. WhenUtry

WhenUtry Pen Pal - Newbie

My recommendations can really be weird as well. I've had nice discoveries though, like Japanese city pop. Anyone familiar with Plastic Love? :)

My issue with YouTube too is that a lot of it seems to be fluff and for vanity. Baffles me sometimes when I see their subscriber count. But to each his own, I guess...