Am I the only one to find YouTubers annoying

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Kumabjorn, Jan 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

We all have our secret little dreams. Mine is that if I could get enough money to sustain me for two years, I'd buy some video equipment, travel around Japan and do a "documentary" on Japanese history. Present castles, who lived there, what battles where they involved in and so on. My problem is that I find YouTube videos mostly annoying. They take ten minutes, just sitting in front of their laptops, to get to a point that can be made in 30 seconds. Talking about completely irrelevant things, being sidetracked and believing that every viewer is their own best personal friend.

So my questions is, I suppose, is that what today's millennial kids expect? Will people not watch videos where the presenter might not even be seen? I realize my chosen topic for the videos doesn't have general appeal, but I wouldn't be making them in order to make money, just to get a sense of accomplishment. And obviously I'd want people to watch them and find them informative and entertaining. But just sitting in front of a camera has zero appeal for me.

ORTOX, wytn and DRTigerlilly like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

@Kumabjorn - I'm not sure about Millennials' expectations and such, but the 10 minute length is because that's the minimum to get ad revenue. And I know that because sometimes people will complain in comments about the useless filler the YouTuber put in to get ten minutes.

You might have already known that, but I figured I'd put it out there in case others wondered.

3. Kumabjorn

I didn't know that, thanks.
    Stupid rule.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

4. KlickSter123

KlickSter123 Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree with you on this. But there are exemptions, of course. For Youtubers that I followed for a long time now, this kind of video really keeps me interested--especially since I can do other things while just kind of listening to them only. Videos like that won't require your eyes to be glued on the screen all the time. But then again I think it works only when the audience has been following the Youtuber for quite some time already.

5. Kumabjorn

They should do a podcast then. Why waste previous bandwidth on video if no one watches anyway?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

6. KlickSter123

KlickSter123 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah I get what you mean. Well anyway, if they're getting profit from it (or followers), I assume they won't stop. lol

Kumabjorn likes this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Money rules. Can't really blame them for that. But if they want followers to remain loyal I think they need to come up with some better production ideas.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Filler in the YouTube videos drives me absolutely crazy. I just normally swing past it to the part I came for. I watch a lot of technical videos because I suffer from the illusion that I can repair my own vehicles. Sailing videos get my attention as well, but so many of them are badly made. There is a lot of crap out there.

wytn and Kumabjorn like this.
  9. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Imagine my joy since so many tech reviews out there consists in the camera showing the reviewer talking about the computer instead of showing me the ****in machine.

wytn and Eltos like this.
  10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

In case anyone cares, there are some YouTube videos I subscribe to because I find them informative, entertaining or both. For example, I subscribe to - and pay a monthly Patron fee to Lisa Gade for her Mobile tech review review videos. That would be an example of an informative series. Likewise I subscribe to - but don't pay a Patron fee for - "LINUSTECHTIPS" because I find them both informative and often extremely funny. I view such videos at most once a week and mostly I'm background. I don't know about milenials, but these people are doing legitimate work, providing me a real benefit and I think they have every right to make money from them. I O.