Alternatives to Vivotab Note 8???

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Amy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

A strong case would work in that case. I don't really know how my Asus feels without its case anymore... I find all devices feel vulnerable without a protecting cover because I always use one :p

2. murdic

murdic Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, got hold of a Wacom - a Samsung S-pen for ATIV 500T. No response at all. Better not lose the OEM stylus....

Mesosphere likes this.
  3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Unfortunate. Thanks for testing it though.

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Is it just me, or is the advent the recent resoundingly positive experiences with the new pen released by Dell for the Venue Pro products with Synaptics digitizer a major game changer for this market segment? If full performance metrics are confirmed (so far, excellent inking, pressure sensitivity and palm rejection have all been widely confirmed and demoed on Youtube), you have Dell's highly praised pieces of kit for this price point, it's already deep bench of docks and other accessories, its established policy of frequent discounting and refurb deals at 50% off, and it's global enterprise class service "ecosystem," and, more than an "oh by the way," Dell's worldwide reputation as a major hardware manufacturer puts them in the driver seat to not only eat Microsoft's lunch and dinner, but it already covers the entire gamut from budget 8" Atom based (recently, a 1GB $155 model) to full Haswell and now Broadwell cpus with up to 8GB RAM and 256GB or more SATA SSDs.

I don't know if Dell has an exclusive on the Synaptics technology - or even the pen that finally makes that technology fully viable commercially - but at a minimum they can put us all in hog heaven by simply continuing to evolve the Venue Pro line and potentially add active ditigitzation to other convertible models in their line. If they have an exclusive, their pricing to date suggests that it's at very low cost. Or if the technology is open to anyone, and the only reason Dell are the only ones using the Synaptics digitizer thus far is that they jumped in with both feet and everyone else saw from their embarrassing experience to stay away, now any manufacturer can license from Synaptics (with its own massive OEM subsystem supply ecosystem) it would appear that both Wacom and Ntrig might be quaking in their boots (admittedly, there's no proof I've seen that the new Dell Pen produces results comparable to either of the other techs for serious artists) and those of us who have been inhabiting this lonely Forum all these years will see the "era of universal penabled computing" come into being, kind of how the era of the high res. IPS display suddenly hit the market with superb product at shockingly low prices in just the past 2-3 years, after years of suffering in - not very silent - frustration with 768p 120:1 contrast, 140 nit 30% sRGB color gamut screens were virtually all you could get for all those years.

Am I overreacting to what may be no more than the Synaptics tech going from awful to usable for note taking, or may this be the game-changer I sense - with all up-market players, not never-heard-of Asian manufacturers who haven't mastered glue guns!!?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Lovelaptops? More like Lovetyping!

(but also yes. For note taking this could become a big deal)

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Actually, hate typing, especially with OSKs, but do love talking! especially when I find something compelling but, well, seem to be the only one who thinks so! (also, grew up son of lawyer; not enough to make a point, had to defend and win(!) it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  7. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

The new HP Envy X2 13 and 15 apparently have Synaptics as well. There is at least one Youtube review where the owner uses the Dell pen on the HP he is reviewing. HP also has a pen but I am not sure how well it works yet...supposedly available at Best Buy and has a flat edge.

I am going to pull the trigger on the Dell A03 pen soon that people here are starting to call it although it is not marked as such. I like the inking performance shown in the pics and vids.

By the way, eBay is full of V8P's owners are unloading cheap because they do not like the inking performance with the A00, A01, and A02 pens. Looks like a bargain to me if the "A03" pen really delivers!

8. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

OK, so let me see if I get the breakdown of what the options are as far as using a pen on a pressure sensitive tablet:
    Wacom: AVTN8, earlier Surface Pro models, and Samsung Galaxy Note models; arguably the best option.
    Synaptic: Dell Venue 8/11; crummy option
    N Trig: SP3; considered historically inferior to Wacom, but now works as well or perhaps better than Wacom
    Adonit: iPad; better than the DVP Synaptic, but not in the same league as Wacom or SP3's N Trig.
    Does this sound like more or less accurate?
    Thanks in advance!

9. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

OK, so I have been looking at the AVTN8, but the various failure issues are scaring the crud out of me. Here is a list of reasons why I'm looking at the AVTN8, more or less in order of importance. I'm wondering what you experienced users could say about 1) how well the AVTN8 actually fits the bill; and 2) what alternatives might fit as well.
    1) The price-tag, especially when it is deeply discounted on Amazon or MS Store (as it is on and off from time to time; though that is not the case right now). One can get a good Samsung Galaxy Pro for about the same price, though, but the SGP does not fit my third criterion (below).
    2) Reliable hardware and software. Here is where I thought Asus was a safe bet, based on my Asus T100 and what I have read of the Asus reputation. But then I read about the various failure issues on the AVTN8, and the house of cards comes crashing down here.
    3) Ability to work with a good pressure sensitive digitizer pen (forgive me if my jargon isn't spot on here). The Samsung Galaxy Note models are Wacom Penabled, but the price jumps up relative to the ATVN8, even when not discounted. The Dell Venue can work with a pressure sensitive stylus and costs roughly the same as the AVTN8, but Dell's Synaptic pen has a bad rep. Anything else is going to cost upwards of $500 (unless I can pick up an old Surface Pro?), including an iPad with some third party stylus that costs $100 in addition to the already inflated iPad price.
    4) Glonass GPS support that I can use offline with maps apps to navigate. Can anyone confirm that the AVTN8 can, in fact, be used in this capacity?
    5) A decent rear facing camera; although here my understanding is that the 5mp camera doesn't have very good software supporting it, so there are better options out there with 5+mp cameras.
    6) Windows 8.1 is nice to have, with the ability to use full Windows "legacy" programs and other things, such as easy WiDi mirroring, the Win 8.1 ecosystem (yes, I actually like that), etc. I'll add here the MS Office that comes with the AVTN8 as something that certainly sweetens the deal. This Win 8.1 compatibility is the least important factor, probably, and there are some downsides to this as well, of course (cue the battle b/t the Android, iOS, and Windows partisans), but it's nice to have.
    That pretty much exhausts the discussion I've been having internally for the last couple of months. Any input/light that can be shone is greatly welcome.

10. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

Thought of a ThinkPad 10 ?