Alternatives to Vivotab Note 8???

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Amy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Well since it is a product for the Chinese market (correct?). Maybe it is a Wacom knockoff? Chinese companies are known for ignoring patents ... although last I had heard. Wacom's patent on EMR tech had expired.

2. murdic

murdic Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think that it's *specifically* for the Chinese market. I'm in Australia, these devices are very affordable and easy to obtain. I'm waiting to get an RA from Merimobiles to return the tab for replacement, I might receive the Samsung/Wacom stylus I've ordered before I ship the tablet back. The tab's system properties say that there's pen button functionality, and I had another bash at Fresh Paint, there's definitely pressure graduation, though the small stylus doesn't make that feel well-modulated.
    Meanwhile, there's a very weird thing happening. I glanced at the tablet last night and thought that the bubble/whatever-it-is in the screen seemed to be smaller than the last time I'd looked, so I grabbed a ruler and measured it, and I've just measured it again, and it's.....getting smaller. I wonder if I can dare to hope that it's going to disappear altogether? It might be some sort of adhesive like the acrylate that jewelers use, still curing. It'll cheer me up if it happens completely. I measured it last night at 32mm x 17mm, about an hour after that it seemed to measure 30mm x 16mm, but I dismissed that as sloppiness with the ruler. Now, midday the next day, the blemish is definitely 27mm x 15mm.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hmm, could you test the hover latency and tracking of fine tip movements?

If the cursor follows closely while hovering with fast/fine movements, that's a good indication of EMR tech. The Huion tablet pens, while EMR-based, still use a battery (to augment the inductive coupling strength I guess).

4. murdic

murdic Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't got anything with cells loaded, but I inserted a few pictures in wordpad to try to check this out, resizing them and changing their aspects with the handles on the pictures' sides and corners, also resizing columns in explorer. It seems much more responsive than the video you linked to. The move anywhere rose switch to the left/right and up/down handles immediately the stylus approaches them, and it picks them up as soon as I place the tip on the screen.
    The mystery screen imperfection has now disappeared altogether, no vestigial distortion or evidence that it was ever there. I took this picture to prove that it existed, while it was still 20-something mm wide, but now vanished.

Attached Files:

Marty and Bronsky like this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It's completely gone? Wow!

6. Yoyo

Yoyo Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a guess about the bubble.

Poor adhesive was used in making the screen. And maybe not allowed to cure before the tablet was shipped. No, I mean airplaned, in the non-pressurized cargo hold, where the bubble formed.

Maybe that means all will be well?

7. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have seen a bubble like that before... On my HTC Flyer. That one, too, disappeared again at some point.

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

How often can you say that about hardware defects! "Well, it just fixed itself...perfectly." ;)

Looking at your picture, I almost could not tell the difference from the VTN8 at that angle. In fact, I had to do three double-takes to even notice the very slight difference in bezel proportions and corner curvature lol.

9. murdic

murdic Pen Pal - Newbie

I've gotten hold of a 128Gb microSD and the tab recognizes it, although the spec sheet says it's only supposed to be good for 32Gb. I don't know how solid the Asus feels, but this one flexes pretty spectacularly. My old Acer feels like it's carved from granite compared to this PiPO. Heavier, though, naturally.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Well the flip side of that creekyness is that it is super easy to open when you need to fix something. My RMA replaced digitizer cable started to fail today, so I grabbed an expired credit card out of my wallet, and I had the tablet open in about two minutes. I wiggled the cable a bit and now it is back working for the time being. My replacement cable is in my office. I'll fix it tomorrow the right way, but the easy opening allowed for the quick fix.

Of course preferably it wouldn't break in the first place =)