Alternatives to Vivotab Note 8???

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Amy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Avenger

Avenger Scribbler - Standard Member

This is the first 8 inch Samsung tablet from Samsung since the Galaxy Note 8 which I recently retired. I’d rather have this than the 10” s4 tablet that I bought even though it is lower end. Too bad it’s not coming to the USA.

2. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

A bit more than that. Intel is not invested in tablet SoCs anymore, the Z8xxx chips are pretty old by now. Supposedly Celeron and Pentium Silver/Gold replaces it but they're mostly used in very low end Walmart/Best Buy laptops or Chromebooks.

I'm hoping 10 on ARM will gain more momentum, an 8-in Qualcomm tablet with pen that can dual boot Android and Windows (or at least via XDA developers) would be pretty nice. Battery life should be WAY better than the VTN8.

3. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

The pain from hearing what we know is the truth

I still remember being very excited when the Dell Venue 8 Pro, eight inch full windows tablet came out. And then the asus vivotab note 8 with EMR. well the direction was clear

Surely with cherry trail, we'd have amazingly long battery life and good enough performance, everything was going in the direction we thought.

It would be fine they said.
    It would be okay, they said.

Oh, and don't forget multiple companies making attempts at dual boot android/windows? Remember when that was a thing before being axed by the big companies?

What will happen first?

- ios and android becoming even better to the point windows has almost no advantage on an 8 inch tabet

OR

- Andromeda

OR

- Milkdromeda

OR

Chocolate milk with Barnie's Cocoa Pebbles

4. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I've not been following these things closely for a while, but the One Mix 3s is the first device this small I've seen with a Core M (and above?) processor. That's certainly intriguing.

The thing I don't get is why these One Mix Yoga devices have keyboards. Why not just make it a tablet? (*edit* I see now that the One Mix Yoga models aren't fanless--I guess that might explain in part why a keyboard would be attached?)

In any event, to my knowledge no major OEMs are working on any full Windoes devices in this size range any more. Maybe the AVTN8 size/style/concept is just a relic of a bygone era now?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019 at 9:39 PM
  5. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Because if people wanted a tablet they'd just buy a tablet? Those of us purchasing these devices want a laptop first form factor.

6. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Interesting. You must have really small hands to use one of the One Mix Yoga line devices as a laptop first. For my part, if I were to buy one I'd use it with a keyboard much (most?) of the time, but I would use a bt mouse and keyboard. There is no way I could do extensive typing on a sub-9-inch keyboard.
    For quite a while, my AVTN8 functioned as my "laptop," and I used it with a bt keyboard and mouse, and I loved it.

7. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You get used to it after awhile, through practice, like anything else, has very little to do with hand size. Have you actually tried one? But obviously you're not part of the demographic who wants these machines. Your tablet requires a stand and extra accessories to carry around.