Alternatives to Vivotab Note 8???

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Amy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. MC1987

MC1987 Pen Pal - Newbie

Are there any larger versions of such cheap tablets? 12 inch ideally.

2. Largrande

Largrande Pen Pal - Newbie

Are you abel to install wacom driver ?

3. murdic

murdic Pen Pal - Newbie

Sad news. What I'd thought was adhesive holding the screen protection foil to the screen has turned out to be a serious cosmetic flaw in the screen itself. It looks like a bubble in adhesive, for example, between layers of glass. It's obvious when the screen's dark and it causes a diffuse halo effect when the tablet's on. It doesn't affect function, but it's an aggravating cosmetic flaw. It's a warranty issue, but I'll have to ship it back to Shenzen, PITA. Having some dialogue with Merimobiles about it now.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Would you take a shot at installing the Wacom driver before you send it back? It would be nice to know if these are Wacom pens. Sorry to hear about your defect.

5. murdic

murdic Pen Pal - Newbie

How could I do that, and how will I know if they're functional? I've ordered a Samsung Wacom stylus, the sort of pen that came with my old ATIV 500, I thought that if the OEM stylus is Wacom, it'd work with the existing firmware to point, scroll, vary width in those apps that respond to pressure, but maybe the buttons wouldn't work. Would these drivers maybe deliver that functionality? I'm going to order that Vido when it's available as well, so I can repeat these experiments on it, too.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Go to this page and download the driver (or do the compatibility tool)

http://us.wacom.com/en/feeldriver/

If it installs fine....then it's definitely wacom (and this driver will also give pressure to programs reliant on Wintab, and allow you to customize the side buttons on the pens)

If it doesn't install that could mean 3 things

1. It's not Wacom
    2. It is Wacom, but they messed with the hardware ID (Surface Pro 1)
    3. It is Wacom, but it's one of the newer (non EMR) digitizers they announced but haven't been used by an OEM yet

7. murdic

murdic Pen Pal - Newbie

Nope. It returned the message "a supported tablet was not found on this system". The compatibility app says "Your hardware has pen input capabilities, but does not appear to be a Wacom device. It is not supported by the Wacom FEEL driver".

thierryb likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Thanks for trying.

9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Since it apparently has a UC Logic digitizer, could you test the UC Logic drivers (originally used with the Huion tablets)?

10. murdic

murdic Pen Pal - Newbie

Unsuccessful with UC-Logic drivers, too. But, I had a forage through the tablet's system and I found touchscreen drivers attributed to "Goodix". A search says that their Windows 8 solutions include active capacitive stylus support, but the notes about their active stylus mentions batteries, while their passive stylus notes mention 2mm-3mm nib size, neither of which applies, and the vendor sites say that the stylus is "EMR", which sounds like electromagnetic resonance to me. Curiouser and curiouser.