Alternatives to Vivotab Note 8???

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Amy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I understand the RAM issue but here's the thing--my AVTN8 only has 2gb RAM and a weaker processor and it's definitely faster and smoother. What gives?

2. HJK

In any case, unless there is a sim capable version of the DV8P that I'm unaware of, the DV8P would do less to help me than the HPE8N did. I think I'll sit tight with my classic little Asus for a while longer.

3. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

If I remember correctly, cherry trail GPUs got hotter than bay trail, and caused thermal throttling in devices that didn't have good thermal design. That might be your issue.

HJK and WillAdams like this.
  4. HJK

Interesting point. The HPE8N does get really hot on the back, much hotter than the Baytrail devices I've had. Still, I wonder if 32 bit Windows would make it run any more smoothly.
    It's not unusable by any means. And it is a good AVTN8 alternative, for the few of us out there who still care. I'll probably end up selling it on eBay, though, b/c I bought it for the data capability. If I do keep it I think I'll install Windows 10 32 bit and see if that seems to make it snappier.

5. Yao

Yao Scribbler - Standard Member

I havent read all 39 pages, but the only Windows 10 tablet alternative to the Asus Vivotab 8 is the 10 inch Chinese tablet CUBE i7 series of tablets. They have wacom EMR technology.

no other windows tablet i can think of has Wacom EMR.

maybe a 2-3 years previous generation Fujitsu tablet has Wacom EMR too.

Any windows 10 tablet with WACOM AES is just not the same.

6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

Samsung's line of tablets (S3, Galaxy Book 10/12, some high end notebooks) all use Wacom EMR, and afford the option of using the wonderful Staedtler Noris Digital Stylus (which if only MS hadn't hobbled text selection in Edge in the Fall Creator's Update....)

7. Yao

Yao Scribbler - Standard Member

you are absolutely correct! those are probably the best Wacom EMR windows tablet out there but pretty darn pricey :)

but they are the best!

8. Peter T

Peter T Pen Pal - Newbie

I posted a comment on answers.microsoft.com about the SOC driver in the updates being the wrong one. It might help if you were to log in and click 'I have the same question', since they probably won't take just my word for it.

Edit: I just heard from Microsoft. They said that we should now be using the Feedback Hub that is in the Start menu.
    I have therefore now lodged my comment on the Feedback Hub and it is possible to leave a 'I have the same problem' click there as well. To find my comment in the Feedback Hub open the App and type
    Vivotab wrong SOC driver
    in the search cell.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  9. Avenger

Avenger Scribbler - Standard Member

Ugh my touchscreen was first unresponsive which I fixed with a new ribbon cable eventually but now my stylus doesn't work. Am I right that there have been no new active stylus 8" tablets except the HP one? I think I tried it before and didn't care for that one. Any others? If not I may just get another Asus even though it is old tech. Thanks.