Alternatives to Vivotab Note 8???

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Amy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I typed out a long explanation of the purpose of this sort of Bible software (Accordance, Logos, Bibleworks, etc.), but let's try a medium-sized version: A better description would be "academic system," not "educational system" as the software is intended for scholars, pastors, and other uber-Bible-nerd types to do high-powered searches with tagged and interconnected texts centered around, but not limited to, the Bible (classical and ancient Near Eastern texts may also be available). To my knowledge, no iOS or Android app comes close in terms of search capabilities or interconnected texts.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. HJK

If you're interested in talking academic shop, message me.
    The last time I saw Accordance's iOS app, it paled in comparison to the full desktop version. In fact, at the Accordance booth at the SBL in San Diego (2014) I saw the salesman rocking a Dell Venue 8 Pro. I asked him about it and he said that he only recommends running Accordance on Windows tablets, due to the fact that the iOS app will always be behind in functionality. That's really saying something, considering Accordance used to be Mac only and in the early days I used to associate it with the "Mac-ier than thou" crowd of Apple devotees.
    All that to say, I'm not sure that the existence of an Android Accordance app changes the game if you want to have full Accordance functionality in a mini-tablet form factor. You still will need a Windows tablet. More on that momentarily.

3. HJK

Here:

I get a special kick out of the fact that Windows convertibles and tablets are featured so prominently in this video, which speaks to exactly what we're talking about here. While there are plenty of great apps that do everything from tracking your caloric intake to making videos, when you want a full fledged application on a portable device, Windows tablets are often the only way to go, and the same goes for Bible software.

Marty likes this.
  4. HJK

Two more SGN8 questions:
    1) Does it support WiDi (should it be able to connect to my PTV3000 or Roku)?
    2) Does anyone know if a Verizion sim card can work with an unlocked GSM ATT SGN8? The local Verizon shop wasn't very helpful on this question. Their answer was, "if it's GSM, you just have to bring it in and try it out to see."
    Thanks!

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Very impressive piece of software. I do research on Japanese history and wish we had access to something similar.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

HJK likes this.
  6. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone took a look at the Windows 10 on ARM demos, running on a Snapdragon 835?

I'm starting to dream up of a replacement based on that. If any company does one of these that runs Windows 10, 4GB memory, 64GB storage, 8-inch, a pen and decent flex cables, this will be my next device.

My AVTN8 is starting to feel sluggish with all the Windows 10 updates.

HJK and nnthemperor like this.
  7. HJK

So, do you know Dutch, English, and Japanese?
    A fellow polyglot! I'm a Spanish speaking bilingual teacher currently with expertise in the biblical languages. I've dabbled in other languages, but not enough to say that I "know" them.

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Don't know Dutch, know a few other languages though.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk