Alternatives to Vivotab Note 8???

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Amy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Neither of those devices use the Zen Pen, so I don't think those devices would provide a good indicator of how the Zen Pen would work on a ZenPad. And for my part I've never been terribly bothered by the edge problem on my AVTN8.

2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

To be fair, I've not used any other Asus penabled device since then, but I love Asus' innovative ability.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

HJK likes this.
  3. mokugawa

mokugawa Pen Pal - Newbie

This is not ASUS's fault, it's an artifact from the Wacom EMR technology which they only fixed in the latest pro level Intuos Pro/Cintiq Pro/MobileStudio Pro lineup.

Also, it's not an accuracy problem, it's a parallax problem. On the edges, the parallax increases, but the pen is still accurate (i.e. it doesn't jitter).

The Wacom EMR technology's main plus point is that accuracy which you can test when drawing slow diagonal lines - other pen tech gets you wobbly lines there, even when using a ruler. Another plus side is that EMR technology requires less initial activation force than most battery-in-pen technologies.

The downside is that nearing the edges, the parallax increases. If you callibrate though, you can minimize the problem, but it won't go away completely, unless you buy the most recent professional Wacom stuff.

Still, I would argue that the Wacom EMR stuff even on the third party tablets is the best pen tech aside from the iPad Pro Pencil.

HJK and WillAdams like this.
  4. HJK

So my "new" AVTN8 arrived today. After about an hour I was able to get the back off, reseat the cables, and, presto-magico, I had a working touch screen (Thanks, Mesosphere!).
    After setting it up, I ran a battery report, because the biggest concern with buying a used device is that the battery will be worn out. I was pleasantly surprised, if a bit confused to, see that the full charge capacity is actually currently almost 10% *greater* than the design capacity! (Design capacity: 15,118; Full Charge-Capacity: 16,658).
    Not sure how that's possible, but evidently this has been a lightly used device that the owner just didn't have a use for. I couldn't be more pleased.
    My only disappointments are that the device was obviously used in a smoking home (no biggie), and it's on Windows 8.1. After tinkering with it for a half hour, I'm reminded of what I miss about Win 8.1, but I'm also reminded of all of the advances in Windows 10 that I don't want to give up.

thierryb likes this.
  5. HJK

Got it rockin' Windows 10 now!
    I have one concern--it charges super slow, which makes me nervous considering I've owned 2 AVTN8's and I've had the charging port go out three times. But at the price I paid I can't complain if the charging port goes out prematurely.