Alternatives to Vivotab Note 8???

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Amy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Neither of those devices use the Zen Pen, so I don't think those devices would provide a good indicator of how the Zen Pen would work on a ZenPad. And for my part I've never been terribly bothered by the edge problem on my AVTN8.

2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

To be fair, I've not used any other Asus penabled device since then, but I love Asus' innovative ability.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

HJK likes this.
  3. mokugawa

mokugawa Pen Pal - Newbie

This is not ASUS's fault, it's an artifact from the Wacom EMR technology which they only fixed in the latest pro level Intuos Pro/Cintiq Pro/MobileStudio Pro lineup.

Also, it's not an accuracy problem, it's a parallax problem. On the edges, the parallax increases, but the pen is still accurate (i.e. it doesn't jitter).

The Wacom EMR technology's main plus point is that accuracy which you can test when drawing slow diagonal lines - other pen tech gets you wobbly lines there, even when using a ruler. Another plus side is that EMR technology requires less initial activation force than most battery-in-pen technologies.

The downside is that nearing the edges, the parallax increases. If you callibrate though, you can minimize the problem, but it won't go away completely, unless you buy the most recent professional Wacom stuff.

Still, I would argue that the Wacom EMR stuff even on the third party tablets is the best pen tech aside from the iPad Pro Pencil.

HJK and WillAdams like this.
  4. HJK

So my "new" AVTN8 arrived today. After about an hour I was able to get the back off, reseat the cables, and, presto-magico, I had a working touch screen (Thanks, Mesosphere!).
    After setting it up, I ran a battery report, because the biggest concern with buying a used device is that the battery will be worn out. I was pleasantly surprised, if a bit confused to, see that the full charge capacity is actually currently almost 10% *greater* than the design capacity! (Design capacity: 15,118; Full Charge-Capacity: 16,658).
    Not sure how that's possible, but evidently this has been a lightly used device that the owner just didn't have a use for. I couldn't be more pleased.
    My only disappointments are that the device was obviously used in a smoking home (no biggie), and it's on Windows 8.1. After tinkering with it for a half hour, I'm reminded of what I miss about Win 8.1, but I'm also reminded of all of the advances in Windows 10 that I don't want to give up.

thierryb likes this.
  5. HJK

Got it rockin' Windows 10 now!
    I have one concern--it charges super slow, which makes me nervous considering I've owned 2 AVTN8's and I've had the charging port go out three times. But at the price I paid I can't complain if the charging port goes out prematurely.

6. HJK

So, my AVTN8's screen is cracked and I'm considering replacements once again. Among other options I'm thinking of picking up a used Galaxy Note 8 on the cheap, as they seem to be abundantly available.
    One question for those who have experience with both: After getting accustomed to Windows 10 devices, will switching over to a Android 4.2 device seem like a huge step backwards? My experience with Android isn't that extensive.
    I plan to use it as a note-taker, mini-hybrid for MS Office type tasks, GPS on occasion, and other smart-phone type tasks like social networking, Skype, and the like. How pleased do you think I will be with an oversized Android 4.2 phone interface after becoming accustomed to Windows 10 and all it has to offer?

The two things that I know that I will miss are the ability to open apps side-by-side and the ability to run my full x86 Accordance Bible Software. The need to run Accordance is less pressing than it used to be for reasons beyond the scope of this post. But it's still a concern.

The fact that it can be used as a smartphone is intriguing. Most people find the idea of using a 8'' device for phone calls to be "weird," but I personally like the idea of having all of my devices in one place (phone, mini-laptop, tablet). And it's not like I'd be holding the thing up to my ear; of course I'd buy a bt earpiece.

7. mokugawa

mokugawa Pen Pal - Newbie

For those tasks, the Galaxy Note 8.0 will definitely suffice. By the way, Samsung has actually done a good job of making use of the screen real estate, so at least for many of the built-in apps (and also some of the better third-party apps), they actually use the screen size well.

Samsungs TouchWiz Android interface actually does support side-by-side running of apps (Samsung calls it "Multi-Window") - a feature that was incorporated into stock Android much much later. However, I think it doesn't work with all apps.

HJK likes this.
  8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have both and I have no problem switching between them, granted I've had them for a long time so I'm properly socialized.

HJK likes this.
  9. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

I also have both, and the Samsung is now being used by my wife. I asked for the Asus precisely because of accordance. Also, Onenote is still better on Windows than Android. On Android, you can't use the reverse side of a Wacom stylus to erase. If you also use Logos it is also more full featured on Windows.

However, Android is a better touch experience. Even with the less features on Logos, for example, it's easier to navigate with your fingers than on Windows (although I have since adjusted to using Logos with touch on Windows and no longer have any problems). It is also lighter and easier to hold. Also, it is easier to buy books off the Google play store, and reading those books in the play books app is a much better experience than on Windows. I now download the books off Google, use calibre to remove DRM, crop then to size, before reading them on Windows. If you need to crop your PDFs you'll need to do this either way.

By the way, the Samsung can be officially updated to Android 4.4, and unofficially, rooted and have lineage OS Android 7.1.1, which is what mine has and everything works.

All that said, I still prefer the Asus because of accordance and the better one note experience. I use a full size Wacom stylus with a pen loop.

HJK likes this.
  10. HJK

Well, after two dead charging ports, three cracked screens, and countless times cracking open the back of the AVTN8's case to revive the digitizer, The Samsung has got to be sturdier, anyway!