Alternatives to Vivotab Note 8???

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Amy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Missing Explorer is something I have no problem relating to, but trying to hit some of the boxes in the UI, even with the stick pen, is a lot like playing slot machines, a lot of misses and then a small insignificant hit.

Balbutio ergo sum

2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting, 'cos windows explorer is the main reason I use only windows tablets from 8" ~. Nothing beats the ease of access it guarantees. In IOS and Android it's a nightmare. setting view to large thumbnails totally solves the problem of clicking objects.

Sent from mTalk

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Yes, but not the minimize button or assorted menu choices.

Balbutio ergo sum

4. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

So what do you all think about the Android options? How is OneNote in Android?
    And does anyone know anything about the Asus Zenpad? Do all models of the Zenpad support the Z Pen? And is the Z Pen any good *for note taking and not for serious art*?

5. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I still prefer the OneNote 8.1 app. Between OneNote for Windows and Android, I don't have a clear winner. The 8.1 one is, for me, the best (only simple writing, no fancy OneNote other functions).

Asus Zenpad: I got one, the S8 4/64Gb version (the end of 2016 was very expensive!). It works very nicely indeed (coming from a Galaxy Note 8.0). The only drawback, as with all those "modern" pens, is the AAAA battery. Hard to get, no rechargeable options availabe and you cannot turn off the pen to safe battery life. Writing works nicely though.

Edit: an no, not all versions support a pen, be sure to check before you buy!

WillAdams and HJK like this.
  6. nnthemperor

Don't trust Asus pen accuracy. There's always a problem writing on the edges of the screen.

Sent from mTalk

7. HJK

On what do you base this comment? According to this video, good edge writing is the *only* thing that the Z Stylus does well.

8. HJK

Thanks so much for this input! Definitely trust your judgment.
    The problem with trying to figure out whether or not it supports the pen is that sometimes you wonder if OEMs or distributors have just failed to mention pen support. I'm pretty sure I've even seen devices on Lenovo's outlet website that support Wacom EMR with absolutely no mention of that fact in the details.
    So it goes.

9. HJK

So, I purchased a broken 64gb via Ebay. I have digitizers from digikey that I'm hoping will bring the dead touchscreen back to life.
    So I'm wondering what anyone knows about the various Win 10 keys you can find on Ebay for anywhere from $10-$30. I hate to pay $100 to put Win 10 on a tablet I payed $65 for. Do these things work, or are they a scam? Can you continue to get Win 10 updates if you use one of these keys? Also, how hard is it to do a fresh install on a AVTN8? A lot of the listings say that you have to do a fresh install of Win 10, which makes me a bit nervous.
    Here's an example:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-WIN...638024?hash=item25cc8dd888:g:8yQAAOSw-0xYbP4Y
    It's not at all reassuring that the seller doesn't know how to spell "worldwide." *sigh*
    And here's another example, where it looks as though a fresh install is not necessary:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windows-10-...668166?hash=item33c8c4bac6:g:M5sAAOSwA3dYXKj2
    And there are also some similar options with more established sellers.
    Let me know if any of you have any experience with this.
    Thanks!

10. nnthemperor

Previous experience, bought the ep121 and the vivotab both had this problem.

Sent from mTalk