Alternatives to Vivotab Note 8???

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Amy, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Well, rather than a good option, I think it is the only option

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

2. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Interesting. Why would you rule out the Toshiba Encore 2 Write, the HP Pro 608, and the Pipo? (Since I'd accept Synaptics, I'd add the Dell Venue Pro to the list, but I get that most wouldn't and it's not my first choice)

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Thought they weren't available anymore. They aren't here.

Balbutio ergo sum

4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Get the 2016 DVP 8 5855. It's way better than any other 8" windows tab out there.

Sent from mTalk

HJK likes this.
  5. HJK

Ah, I see. I'm skimping big time, so I'm looking at second hand models on Ebay and the like.

6. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

Then definitely take a look at the Toshiba encore write 2 after over a tear I'm still loving it

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

HJK likes this.
  7. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

While I do agree, there's only one problem: availability. We had to jump a lot of hoops to get ours!

HJK likes this.
  8. HJK

The more I think about it, the more I think I may not be able to replace my AVTN8. While I miss my AVTN8 and would really love to have a smaller tablet that I can write on, it's a luxury that I don't absolutely *need.* I may look like an absolute goof-ball walking around work with a 12.5 inch T300 Chi, but it gets the job done for me *both* as a laptop *and* as a tablet. I can handle looking foolish if it suits my needs.

Having said that, for the good of the order I think there is another device that deserves mention on this thread: The Asus T100 Mini. As a tablet it's gotten middlin' reviews, and the HD screen with wide bezels does look like something from 2013. But it's an affordable smallish device with N-Trig tech (the only such small device I'm aware of) *and* with a bundled pen. Also, if history is any indication I would guess that the price will drop by $50 within the next six months or so.
    fwiw

9. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

While I love my boogie board, I wouldn't want to use it as a real note taking device. It's basically a one-page note taker. We have one on our fridge, for grocery shopping and I have one beside my PC to take some quick notes (think phone numbers).

10. HJK

A few questions of clarification about the Dell 5855.
    1) Why is it so highly recommended?
    2) It should have Wacom AES tech, right?
    3) How is the battery life? Comparing devices on notebookcheck.net, I can see that not many 8 inch devices got the battery life of the AVTN8, and the 5855 seems to be a few hours short of the AVTN8. I'm wondering how you all are finding it in real life use?

The AVTN8 battery life is just one more thing that made it so great. The wonky digitizer cables and cheap USB charging ports (I think I had three go out on me)--*sigh*.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.