Alternatives to Vivotab Note 8???

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Amy, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'd like to think that in (hopefully less then) 10 years, Battery and ES pen tech will advance enough to make it equal if not superior to EMR tech. The Pro 4 Pen and Pixel sense digitzer I think has been the most substantial effort thus far towards that goal, but I definitely get what your saying. Alot of the comfort and feeling issues of ES based Pens such as the Surface Pen 4 I'd argue come the metal construction of the pen which is thus far necessary for the AAAA battery. If more OEMs adopted supercap charging instead of a AAAA battery (for full size pens, not toothpicks) and we had some premium Plastic based ES pens, I'd imagine it would feel much more like using a EMR pen.

2. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

It's not just the feel of the pen, although that's a big part. It's also the way the cursor hovers. I like to hold a Wacom pen way above the screen to do clicks, etc.

The only serious issue (and it can be addressed) was the edge distortion.

They are just cheap-ing it to sell more. Simple as that. It's pathetic really.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Has anyone checked out the Jumper EZPad 5SE?

It's basically a SP1/2 clone with Cherry Trail innards and the DisplayPort replaced with MicroUSB and miniHDMI + 1 added USB 2 port:

[​IMG]
    It also comes with an S-pen clone, so should be Wacom EMR compatible.

[​IMG]

I know it's a little bigger than the VTN8's 8", but at the list price of $170, I think it could be the perfect small drawing slate / media consumption tablet!

Here's a Japanese artist review and short review:

EDIT: There is some confusion regarding stylus support. We know that the pen has no battery and a forum poster confirmed it was EMR compatible. I would guess that other sites simply have confused the battery-less EMR pen with a simple "passive" pen.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    WillAdams likes this.
  5. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I may need to buy it to replace my Toshiba Encore 2 Write 10....

6. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

This looks like a super bargain, if it's an EMR. The only worry is the panel used. The reviewer didn't like it, and these panels can get pretty bad at this price level. The Asus has a decent panel, although 8". I will wait for you to buy it and tell us :D Note: This reviewer sounds like he's pretty sick of reviewing these cheap tablets.;)

I just bought the Cube i7 Book 64GB for $270, which is a LOT more than this one, although there much more info on it to go on. The Cube is also a different category, with Skylake, etc.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  7. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I tried to order one of these and my credit card was rejected, but I received an order confirmation.
    They seem unorganized. Are they a legit company?

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've not ordered from them myself, but I've seen several tech sites link to them, such as TechTablets and TabletNews so I'm pretty sure they are legit.

One thing I do is make the purchase through PayPal as they have built-in buyer protection for non-delivered goods.

9. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

10. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

So now that SquareTrade has given me a pay out for my broken AVTN8, I'm hunting for the replacement. I'm thinking that the HP Envy Note 8 could be a good option. What say ye?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.