Alternatives to Vivotab Note 8???

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Amy, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I really wonder what the price in Europe will be. So far, I've seen a price of €600. But if that price is for real (that's twice as expensive as the VTN8 used to be), I doubt they'll sell even one single unit here... (I did some calculations, $429 would be around €460 (including VAT))

2. bin23

bin23 Pen Pal - Newbie

Been reading through this thread. Lot's of info to be found here. The Vivotab is really what I have been looking for : small, portable, able to run full versions of sketchbook, etc, essentially a replacement for my Motion Computing LE1700, but smaller and with a better battery life. Like the idea of being able to hold on to all of my emr pens.

Has anyone replaced their Vivotab with something that is good?

Good in terms of :
    • size
    • price
    • battery life
    • digitizing tech
    • heat under load

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  3. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've been quite happy w/ my Toshiba Encore 2 Write 10 --- unfortunately discontinued, but the new 12" Dynapad looks even nicer.

4. bin23

bin23 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the tip. It looks like an interesting machine. I am glad to hear that you've had a good experience with Toshiba. I am a little hesitant of the brand I am afraid. Every time I go to their site the links seem to be dead or go to devices that are not or are no-longer for sale. Never quite sure what is going on with their product lines. I suppose they are looking for their niche. I hope they find it.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Welcome to the world of Japanese internet. Some of the companies, Toshiba among them, insists that everything net related should be centralized, hence managed from Tokyo. Unfortunately Japanese IT people live in the land of Flash and humongous pages and no management when it comes to internet.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

bin23 likes this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The Vivotab is the only recent 8-incher to use Wacom EMR, everything else is either Synaptics or Wacom AES. So if you want to continue to use your existing EMR pens, the Asus is the only game in town really.

bin23 and WillAdams like this.
  7. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am ready to switch to Wacom EMR, but a small one with a silo.
    Even more now, that it exists, and people seem to not dislike it.
    But no 8 inch tablet, just the big Lenovo from BestBuy.

I really thanks Mesosphere who makes my 2 AVN8 are always working.
    And I thanks Microsoft to finally make it efficient and reliable on win 10.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  8. bin23

bin23 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, ok..., that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the info. It is easier to accept a thing being so completely horrible when you understand why. Perhaps it makes it less personal to know that others have the same experience? Their site is really bad.

On a more productive note:
    This site is really good.

Thanks

9. bin23

bin23 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am in the same boat of wanting something small and with a silo. I've number of Wacom tablets big and small, a 13HD Cintiq, desktops, laptops, tablets,....you know stuff. What I liked about my le1700 was that it was mobile for a couple of hours between charging. My tablets run android and don't have stylus compatible screens. Now that Wacom's patents are come to or are nearing their ends, perhaps there will be more and maybe more interesting alternatives.

10. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

To the cheapskates who decided in their infinite wisdom to compete on who makes a worse battery powered, clunky, pen tech, and meanwhile virtually ruining the battery-less Wacom market, Hats off....NOT

Sorry,.... i really thought there would be at least 1 Wacom survivor. So we are going to using our Asus ten years from now? :D

I own a (nice) SP4. Problem is, I can, and will, never get use to the pen. Don't like them. A major step backward IMHO

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    darkmagistric likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.