Alternatives to Vivotab Note 8???

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Amy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Damn if that doesn't look like a Wacom pen.

2. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Looking forward to your impressions when you get it. :)

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

jaekqubp likes this.
  4. murdic

murdic Pen Pal - Newbie

I think that the stylus is Huion tech. They do digitizer monitors, graphics tablets and tech for other manufacturers. I checked out a review of a Monoprice graphics tab, the reviewer said nice things about it. If it works well, an advantage is that the stylus is half the price of a Wacom.
    A little more fossicking about has turned up that the technology comes from a company called UC-Logic.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    jaekqubp and Bronsky like this.
  5. murdic

murdic Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I've just received the Pipo W5 and my assumptions are wrong. It's on charge before I have a decent look under the hood, but the stylus that came with it is small, no battery, and looks like the one that's supplied with the Asus. In fact, the end looks like it's been designed to dock in the edge of the tablet, exactly as the Asus does - except that the Pipo doesn't have a cavity to take it.... I've fired it up to see how the stylus feels, response-wise, and it feels like the Wacom in the Samsung ATIV that I had, except that there aren't buttons. That's through the screen protection foil that it was shipped with, too, which I haven't taken off yet. I wouldn't be surprised if this is an actual Wacom. Nice.
    It isn't 3G that I can see, not that that matters to me, and the specs on the box state that that feature's optional.

jaekqubp likes this.
  6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Do you have any wacom pens to try on it? Are the bezels as small as they look in the picture? Those look small by windows tablet standards.

7. murdic

murdic Pen Pal - Newbie

No, the Samsung stylus from the ATIV 500 that I had is only $25 and available, so I'll probably order that, if only to find out if the buttons will work too. The bezels really are that fine. The thing feels so light and svelte in comparison to the Acer W3 that I've had for a couple of years. My Acer doesn't have an IPS screen, it's not that noticeable because you tend to hold it directly in front of your face, but this makes it look horrid in comparison.

8. Greenlee

Greenlee Pen Pal - Newbie

9. murdic

murdic Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't seen that tablet at any vendors, even those that carry other Vido models. This Pipo is looking good. The stylus behaves like a Wacom, it scrolls while hovering, I tried it with Microsoft's Fresh Paint app and there's pressure variation. There's no smudging, so palm rejection (or maybe it should be called heel rejection, you tend to rest the heel of your hand onscreen) works well. It's a pleasure to write with (compared to finger-cursive, anyway!), and MS's handwriting recognition is much snappier than when I use a capacitive stylus or a finger. The tablet is noticeably smaller than Acer W3, 210 x 125 vs. 220 x 136, a couple of mm thinner, much lighter and more comfortable to hold. The battery had 9% when I received it, it took about 3 hours to charge to capacity with a 2.1A charger while shut down, and there's no charge indication while it's shut down, no lights, nothing. You're going to have to wait for me to find out how long the battery lasts... The tab's specs assert 32Gb capacity for the microSD card, but since there's ambiguity elsewhere, I decided to take a chance and ordered a 128Gb card, I don't expect to receive it for a week, but if the slot doesn't see it, a USB adapter will.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    jaekqubp likes this.
  10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

For anyone interested you can pre-order the Vido W8S from the same site as the Pipo. Anyone have any more confirmation of this being Wacom?