Alternatives to Vivotab Note 8???

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Amy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, you know what they say: the exception proves the rule (at least, that's what we say....)

Bronsky likes this.
  2. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

So, the Asus T90 Chi supports some sort of digitizer (looks N-Triggish?)
    The problem seems to me to be that a 9 inch device will probably be too large for those who want something portable, but too small for those who want something productive.
    But at 9 inches it seems to be close enough in size to the VTN8 to merit a mention here. And it also does seem to establish the push to make available small-ish Windows tablets with some sort of active digitizer as a bona-fide trend here in early 2015.

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I think it is a Synaptics digitizer in the Chi (same as the Dell Venue 8 Pro).

I agree on the size. For me 8" is perfect. It is the absolute largest it can be while still fitting in my pocket (in a pinch). I wouldn't mind a slightly smaller screen, but only if it was achieved via a smaller bezel. The device size can't grow.

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I'm curious, Meso, are you still skeptical of the latest Synaptics pen, or has something (actually used it?) convinced you that the third time is, in fact, the charm? Btw I agree with you on the size factor, though it is not the screen size but the outer dimensions that make the difference. I don't remember how big the bezels are on the AVTN8, but my GN8 has very wide bezels and could easily fit a 9" screen without increasing its outer dimensions. Don't know the size comparison of the AVTN8 and GN8 but I can tell you that the GN8 fits in large coat pockets, etc, and seems to be in the same size class as the other 8-inchers, so I think we should check the outer dimensions of the T100 Chi, which otherwise seems to be a pretty nice item.

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

The AVN8 has larger bezels than the GN8 I think, and the size of the device is exactly what I was speaking to.... although I see that I had a typo. I meant I wouldn't mind a larger screen... achieved in the same way you describe. I don't think a device size larger than my AVN8 could fit in my pocket.

Regarding the Synaptics pen. No, I'm still skeptical. I was just stating what the tech was. He thought it might be N-trig.

I haven't gotten a chance to try it myself. I'll believe it when there is an avalanche of people I know to have similar "good enough" thresholds singing praises to it ... or I get a chance to try it myself (I live far from any store that is likely to have a demo unit/pen). So far there is only a trickle from people whose standard of "good enough" I'm either not familiar with or from those I've already figured out have a lower "good enough" bar than I do.

I haven't heard much of anything bad yet, so maybe they did finally get it, but I'm also not holding my breath.

6. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well after a few weeks of school with the AVTN8. I've decided I'm going to sell it. The screen was just a tad too small for me to comfortably take notes during lecture with imported PPTs into One Note. With funky pen response toward the edges, the pennable area was even smaller than 8". The Wacom experience (IMO) was subpar to the SP2, but that's not surprising. Many times when writing capacitive touch would kick in and my palm would drag the notes any which way.

It's a cool little tablet, and I thought I would like something smaller, but I think the 10-12" range is perfect for my use case.

My goal is to get a Wacom pennable tablet that successfully dual boots Android-x86 or Android-IA. My SP2 is running 4.4-r2 of Android-x86 but the WiFi doesn't work and the dongle sucks. Been researching this extensively for weeks and Android-IA (Intel's Android for x86 project) natively supports the 7260AC WiFi card. I scored a Toshiba Portege Z10t-a2111 (i7 Haswell, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM) on eBay for $650 (the tablets are discontinued and no one even owns them, plus they list for $1,800+) and should receive it this week. It's 11.6" (a bit bigger than my SP2) but should run Android-IA flawlessly. I will then have the ultimate tablet.

7. 1454

1454 Pen Pal - Newbie

Not that anyone asked, but my entire problem with the ntrig, synaptics, etc. Bunch is the fact they require a battery. If they incorporated some sort of wireless charging tech in a silo so the pen would never be dead when you need it, it wouldn't have a problem. But I know as soon as I need it, it will be dead. Defeating the whole purpose of an active digitizer. This is why I, personally, think that there is no current replacement for wacom. Just my 0.02

dstrauss likes this.
  8. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As I noted in another thread, while it's a nuisance carrying a spare battery, it can be made to work.

From an ecological perspective it's bad and a rechargeable would be preferable.

1454 likes this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

N-Trig agrees with you. They have been working on a silo-borne rechargeable pen for at least 4 years that I know of. I've still not seen one in a device yet.

On the Screen size debate, the AVN8 is the perfect size for a notepad. It reminds me of the size of an old Steno pad. I took all my college notes on notebooks that size. The old Slate 500 was 8.9" which I also loved. It adds a bit more real estate for editing, annotating and document reading. It's a better device for productivity, being used with a keyboard. It wasn't so much larger that it was any more difficult to carry and no where near as large as a 10" tablet. I could probably still fit it in the front pocket of my briefcase.

lovelaptops and 1454 like this.
  10. Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog Pen Pal - Newbie

So I know that there are already some AVN8 vs DV8P threads out there but I feel like I could get a better answer from here.

I'm looking for a windows tablet with a stylus for general notetaking and browsing the web( I don't know why but I like using a stylus for navigation). Thing is I'm looking at either the Asus or Dell for it. The Asus has an integrated stylus but is more expensive anx apparently is not the mosr ergonomic stylus. The dell on the other hand is cheaper and has a better feeling stylus but I have to carry it around everywhere.

Any help on this?