Alternatives to Vivotab Note 8???

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Amy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Amy

Amy Pen Pal - Newbie

Well that takes care of the Surface Mini for me then. Thanks for letting me know it's RT.

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Just a few thoughts in response to some of the comments made since I last logged-on.

1) The bloatware on the GN8 is fairly easily removed, but much of it is more practically and sensibly ignored. The tablet is very snappy with all the bloatware on board. Go ahead and remove most recognizable commercial apps that you know you have no use for, but I recommend you keep the rest of the stuff until you find things noticeably slowing down (which likely will never happen just because an app happens to be taking up space on an SD card) because I found it took me a longtime to determine what was useful and what wasn't. Plus there's a great app called "Greenify" that shuts down all apps running in background but not needed at any given time - how great would it be to have such control over Windows! Bottom line: don't sweat the "bloatware" - it will take more of your time to do so (or to read this!) than it will save to try to manage it.

2) Unless you have no present need for an 8" companion penabled tablet don't wait for MS, Toshiba or anyone else to come out with the Windows holy grail if you think the GN8 will do for now; it is easy to transition/upgrade in the future when a better solution becomes available. Believe me, I bought my GN8 15 months ago as a "temporary" solution and I've purchased and tried 5 devices since, only to conclude that there was nothing adequate, much less better, in Windows or Android at this size. And now that it costs only about $149 to buy an excellent refurb GN8, it seems so silly to spend a bunch of time and possibly hundreds of dollars more on what clearly will not
    offer much more functionality when instead you can get your GN8 all set up, sync all your Windows apps to the "grownup" computer it will be a companion to, and kick back and, well, do whatever you want with all the time and money you saved!

3) I have strongly considered moving up to a 10" Note Pro or equivalent because the template size is quite a bit more useful and it is the smallest sized newer model with the phenomenal newer screens and better battery run times the 2014 models have. But now we're talking about spending some $500+ more and "lugging" a device that, while about the size of an iPad Air, just nudges you to the point where the "companion" device is closer in size to your laptop than to your phone. Then there's the question of whether to invest that much money into an Android device, which tends to circle me back to the basic thought of waiting endlessly for some Windows 8-9" holy grail - something like what we started referring to as the Surface Mini, as for back as when the SP3 come out, and which even this thread started "re-rumoring" when I was only away for two days! :D In truth, I have more pressing things to think about now but if I get the time, I probably will move up to whatever is the best 10" device out there and think of it the same way as I did my GN8 a year ago last June.

Then again, at 58 one does more and more cherish the ability to stay "current" without always having to buy, buy, buy, much less invest valuable time (it's all valuable!) on a learning curve for a new device when my trusty GN8 will probably take me another year without spending a dime or a minute to unbox and set up a new device. I can spend that time either doing something useful or fun or, sometimes equally tantalizing, doing nothing at all for a little while :D.

Peace,
    Jefff

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  3. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, that's what I did, I removed everything absolutely didn't want and left everything I might one day use or isn't really in the way. I'll look into that "Greenify" (not that I have any complaints about battery life on it!)

Problem is, I see Android devices as toys. And while I love my toys, if they're only toys, they should not cost more than €200 (I bought my GN8 for €170, including S&H from the UK) That's why the GN8 was out of my radar too long (it simply was too expensive for a toy, however nice). My VTN8 however, I don't only use as a toy, simply because the OS allows me to do most things I also do behind my PC. The same would go for a 10" device. I've held the 10" Note Pro in a shop, and while it looks awesome, feels snappy and has that mandatory (for me!) pen, it's still Android. So, I bought a SP2 instead, for only a slightly bit more than that Note Pro would have cost...

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Actually, if you look for the right apps you can be as productive on an Android as on a Windows computer. There isn't a document I can produce on a Windows computer that I can't replicate on an Android tablet. But, I will do it faster on a Windows computer because I can have multiple screens and I have used the Windows software for much longer.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

lovelaptops likes this.
  5. Amy

Amy Pen Pal - Newbie

You speak the truth, why waste time waiting on something that isn't certain or will probably cost way more and do essentially the same thing the GN8 will do for me. I'm no hard core user, all I need is a good stylus for handwriting recognition, good battery life, note taking apps, and decent performance all around (internet browsing, email,etc.). Speaking of note taking apps, can I type essays on the GN8 (with a bluetooth keyboard of course) and upload that essay to Word Document easily? Like I type the essay on whatever note taking app the GN8 has, email it to myself and open that document in Word without any issues?

lovelaptops likes this.
  6. Amy

Amy Pen Pal - Newbie

I kind of have the same view. Windows I see as something meant for business, and that's exactly what I need a tablet for: Strictly schoolwork, for my notes, possible ebooks, etc... no mindless Youtube videos. If only Asus would fix the problems in the tablet before I buy it, then I wouldn't have to look for a nonexistent equivalent.

lovelaptops likes this.
  7. Amy

Amy Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah I've seen the Youtube videos on the pen, not good at all.

8. Amy

Amy Pen Pal - Newbie

What apps? Are they free and will the text upload to Microsoft Office without any problems?

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Look for Textmaker for Word compatibility, Planmaker for Excel and Showmaker or something like that for PowerPoint. Actually, do a search for SoftMaker, the developer because I Think they have some Office bundle of these Three at the moment.

lovelaptops and Amy like this.
  10. Amy

Amy Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok thanks so much