alternatives to hp tx1000z

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by nikecar, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Mydixiwrecked00

Mydixiwrecked00 Scribbler - Standard Member

i have been looking into buying a tablet now for a few months. ive read the reviews on this and other pages 100 times and each machine has its own pros and cons and it makes it hard to decide. a friend of mine recently purchased the hp tx1000z and it sparked my interest. It competed with the power of a desktop and controlled with the ease of my pocket pc i seemingly cant live without these days. and i could take it with me without having to lug a monster. or stacks of driver cds and my digitizer every time i wanna work someplace besides work. The multimedia side of it would be great for when im on the road and need some entertainment between jobs. and a touch screen would be perfect for running iguideance when lost. Then it comes down to the workhorse side. I need something that can handle graphics and lots of them. i do alot of work on corel and i have grown to love my 6 x 8 wacom digitizer that i use everday. i was dissapointed when i found out that the hp was no more then just a touch screen. really popped my bubble. i need the active digitizer abilities. i still considered buying the hp to use at home and on the road and get a cintiq monitor for the shop but the duckets added up way to quickly, even buying refurbs. i have had a few dells and had no problems with them, i saw that theres talk of them releasing a tablet at the end of this year now but still no date or promise that it will be the next best thing. MY work computer gave up the ghost this past week so i have been limping by on a dinosaur that was pulled form the back of a closet. now i need a new machine and quickly, and it must be a tablet. is there anything out there that can handle what i throw at it but still be able to function as mediacenter when its time to not do work? or is hp the only one that created such a machine and fell short of adding an active digitizer and better graphics card?

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    trying to stay under 2500

2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    convertible

3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    12.1 or larger

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    US

5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Ive been waiting on the new Dell, but at this point it doesnt matter

6. How many hours battery life do you require?
    More the better, modular battery would be nice

7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for?
    graphic design/ running plotter and printers/ possibly cnc plas or router, projector

8. Do you have an OS preference?
    xp unless vista is that much better

9. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    Corel IX, Photopaint, signlabs, flexisign, misc. cad software

10. Do you intend playing Games. If so please list.
    id like to be able to if i wanted to. but its not that important. man played solitare long before microsoft and i still own an xbox

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen?
    widescreen if possible

2. What resolution do you prefer?
    wxga or sxga

3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option?
    in/out

4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?
    ACTIVE! multitouch would be great also

5. Do you require Wacom or Finepoint Technology?
    WACOM

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    80 or more

2. Do you require an Optical Drive?
    onboard would be prefered, lightscribe would be nice too, modular bay would be excellent but i can give if needbe

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
    it would be nice. but i can make do if im asking to much in one machine

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?built in bluetooth and wireless card are a must, biometric scanner is prefered, room for a wireless card and video out. i was sold on the multimedia side of the tx1000z but i need a wacom tablet. i know remotes and stereo sound out of a laptop really dont matter in the end, but they would be nice. i can always buy a remote, when it comes down to it it will be a work machine.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?STURDY! this thing will travel and be opened closed and spun around OFTEN,

im sure im asking for to much but opinions, ideas and options would be appreciated

2. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Fujitsu T4220 or Gateway C140X will be good choices for you. While the T4220 doesn't have a discrete graphics solution, the GMA X3100 is no slouch when it comes to work; the T4220 also comes with a modular bay that takes an optical drive or additional battery, among other addons. If you must have the graphics card, go with the C140X.

3. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can confirm with Kureshii above; the T4220 is indeed a very good workhorse.

You asked for something Sturdy and Strong.... Whilst the T4220 is no Toughbook, it's certainly capable of being used hard.
    In my work, I use the earlier T4210 in a 4x4, where it often can be found bouncing around on the front seat whilst driving through fields.

4. Mydixiwrecked00

so the gateway tablets are nothing like their desktop counterparts of the past? im looking fora quality product and if they can swing it then im game.i hesitated at first when i went onto gateways website a while back, but after customizing a tablet on their site the thing was pretty loaded and the price still wasnt bad. i see that they run a differnt video card the the rest of the companies also. does it offer better graphics?i had also looked at the toshibas since i have had 2 satellites in the past but it seemed the gateway had more to offer. the lenovo from what i saw in past reviews is THE workhorse and on their site its available with turbo memory. is that worth it? i had even looked into custom built machines from overseas but they all seemed to be lacking one thing or another when it came down to it. the gateway probly will be the best choice from what i have seen. being that it is the end of the year. should i hold out to see what '08 brings? i dont know when the computer world does their new releases but i can tough it out another couple months on what im using now if i really have to.

5. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=935&review=Gateway+C%2D140X+

There is the review for the Gateway c-140x... You can read the performance test scores and see that it held up fairly well.

While I don't care to have any laptop bouncing around, from my daily use (and throwing it and its bag on the ground several times when I enter home or office), the c-140 has held up superbly.

Me and my wife watch the reruns of network shows on the tablet while sitting on the sofa.

Its an excellent product, but I don't think you could do wrong with either. Granted, its not as light as other units, but for the 6lbs its listed at, It actually feels lighter. I can pick it up one handed from the floor when its open without a problem, and have walked with it for 15 minutes straight once without any fatigue.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Mydixiwrecked00

i read some other threads in the forum and had more questions. one was talking about how well the gateway works for gameing due to its videocard which im sure would help me out in what im wanting it for. in that same discussion i see people mention the x61. portability wise it sounds great. but im not sure how i would like having to dock it to use an optical drive thou it makes sense for sheding some weight when u are not using the drive. and i like the multitouch idea. i need a wacom digitizer, but i like the idea of being able to use my finger to run thru the menus when im jsut fidling around on the net or such. is this the only tablet that offers this? is turbo memory something worth looking into? priced out ,fully loaded hardware wise , its just over 2200 right now with 3 year extended warrenty with oopps coverage.
    the gateway 140x comes out to 2250 to the door with all the goodies. does the radeon video card make that much of a difference? the larger screen would probly be nice for when im doing stuff at work, but is it worth the extra weight? i see it goes both ways on that arguement.
    then i looked at the toshiba since i have owned two prior . loaded it came out to 2800... a lil more but are there any advantages to it? i noticed it has a swappable optical drive. would this be modular to stuff an extra batter in if need be? or is this something differnt ?
    lastly the fujitsu. again i like the idea of modular bay to stuff an extra battery in, and like the toshiba. if i was feeling week i could jstu remove the drive to lighten it up for the day....only drawback on it which im sure i could iron out if i didnt want it all is the price... fuly loaded out the door with warrenty and screen protection and xtra modular battery bring it up to 3500. a bit over budget, but if i cut the fat i could get it to a resonable price.

thanks for all the input. i got the tablet bug now and as soon as i can narrow it down to one machine ill order it. thanks again

7. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You can remove the drve for the Gateway too and replace it with the 4cell modular battery.

Now, please note, that price you spec'd for the Gateway WILL be lower if you save the quote, then call a rep (look for Harper or Shayla in the search for info), or do an online sales chat and say you are a student, or even if you aren't say what discounts can they give you. That price will come down. I've seen someone spec out a $2100 price then get it for $1600. Your pricing may differ basd on what they give you, and because the base T7100 a few months ago is now a $119 option.

I love my gateway... The Gateway C120x is multitouch, but slower performance, and heavier than its Lenovo and even Fujitsu cousins so I'd say ignore the c120x.

While I understand saving weight by not bringing the dock along for the Lenovo, what ifyou go somewhere and you get a CD they want you to try? I may not use an optical drive every time, but if I need it, I want it available now. To carry an external defeats the purpose then if someone brings up that point.

8. Mydixiwrecked00

from what im seeing the gateway has it all for the most part. multi touch would be nice but eh. i guess i could live without. i didnt see the modular bay option on the gateway site. is that standard? i didnt see bay batteries either. i must go look again:) i saw it has dvi out in another post so that is another plus. now if it could have a built in web cam and a remote control for when im feeling lazy it would be the perfect alternative to the tx1000z. the lenovo looks like a sweet unit but i cant get over having to dock it for a drive. the fujitsus got some nice stuff but pricey. they do use higher end stuff then most manufatures thou so i guess its worth it. are the toshibas worth considering for my wants or no? anyone else have any input on this subect? always nice to have multiple opinions. thanks again.

9. Mydixiwrecked00

one more thing.... i noticed the gateway only has one open slot.... so i would be SOL if i wanted to run a gps card and wireless broadband card at the same time wouldnt i......:-/ what time do companies drop their new models? is it at the very beginging of the new year or is it a few months in? think it would be worth it to wait since we are almost out of 07?

10. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

The Toshiba Portege Tablet PC line are using older technology, if you're fine with using it, it sure is a fine product; possible customer support hassles/headaches aside. It is one of the three Tablet PC models offering SXGA+; the other two being the Fujitsu LifeBook T4220 and the Lenovo ThinkPad X61t.

Yes, you would be SOL if you wanted to use multiple cards at once, only one card at a time.

Usually Tablet PC manufacturers refresh/update their models whenever a new mobile platform or line processor is released. The eminent release of the upcoming Penryn and Montevina platform is supposedly going to be released sometime in the first half of 2008. Keep in mind that the Tablet PC market is usually the last the refresh, so if, say, the new platform and line of processors were released in February 2008; depending on the manufacturer, new models will come out anywhere from March - June 2008. The bulk of new Tablet PC models will be released sometime before or during June 2008.

Fujitsu usually refreshes their models every six to eight months. Toshiba still has yet to update to the new Santa Rosa platform, and it's still unknown if they are going to come back to the 14.1" screen market that Gateway currently dominates with its C-140X. Asus just released the R1E, successor to the R1F. Dell is set to release their first Tablet PC model before this year is up. Lenovo will most likely update sometime next year with the successor to the current X61t.